butternut squash

martchejApril 20, 2013

I live in Portland and want to grow butternut squash. I've started seeds in peat pots and have 6 seedlings now. When should I plant in the garden bed? seems to wet and cold right now. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Yes, the soil is too wet and cold here for beans, squash, corn, etc. Another 4 to 6 weeks and all should be fine.

Squash, pumpkins, melons, cucumbers can be fussy to transplant, you will have to put your seedlings into larger (4 to 6") pots soon to give the roots space and the plants more time to await better outdoor conditions.

Or you can plant them out now and go through the rigor of using plastic cover, cloches, etc. Birds sometimes peck at these very young seedlings, best to have them covered anyway.

Butternut (and other squashes) seed can be planted directly in the ground in late May here and with a decent summer, the squash will turn light brown by 1 October. Then it is best to store the squash in an 80-degree space for a couple of weeks to complete ripening and enhance long-term storage.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:40AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

"Growing Your Own Food" is a helpful publication from Oregon State University.

It's at http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/21092

See page 7 for a chart w/ planting dates.

Here is a link that might be useful: grow your own pub

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:19PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Need to add -- Portland is in Region 2

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:21PM
larry_gene

Also, start loosening up your soil and turn the top few inches over every week or so rather than waiting until near planting time. Getting air into it will help it warm up and be more hospitable to seeds or seedlings. Winter squash needs to bloom in June and fill out by August here.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
charleney
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™