When does Dahlia sprout in Vancouver BC

burnabyApril 30, 2009

Hi friends. I plant the Dahlia tubers in my yard a month ago. But nothing comes out since then. Is there anything wrong? It's my first year to try Dahlia. I'm in Vancouver BC. In zone 7 or 8? Not sure. Hope I can get some instruction from you. Thanks ahead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

A month ago might have been too cold and therefore too early. Or the tubers weren't viable.

Slugs are apt to go for them when they are small, perhaps they did come up and the got sheared off, without you noticing.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 8:00PM
burnaby

Dose it mean my Dahlias will never come out? What can I do? So sad!

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 12:25PM
bctocin

I'm in Richmond,BC. I have a few Dahlias in the ground 3-4 years,nothing come out yet,unless this winter did them in.I still think too early to tell.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 2:16AM
scarleta

Dahlias can be planted in May or alternatively you can plant them in pots indoors and transfer them out in May.For our area it is far to cold and to wet to plant them in April.You can purchase new tubers and plant them soon again.They should ideally be removed from ground in fall and replanted in May.Slugs love them so slug bait is a must when they are sprouting.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 12:16PM
burnaby

I'm very curious about what's happening to my Dahlia. So... This weekend I tried to dig two of them out. They have tiny shoots already. I put one of them back. And transplanted the other one in a pot. That's my craze story.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:19PM
lilydude

I have Dahlias in my Portland garden (variety Procyon) that have survived in the ground since 1987. They are in a raised bed of sandy loam soil. I originally planted several varieties in that same area, and only Procyon survived. So it's hard to draw a conclusion. I planted three Procyon in my new garden in Kalama in Spring 2008, and all are emerging from the soil at the beginning of May. New tubers will take much longer to emerge. Be patient.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™