Asarum Europaeum/Ginger

tulipscarolan(z6 RIcoast)May 5, 2010

Hi there!

There are two purposes to this post. First, I want to let everyone know how easy it is to propagate European Ginger, and second, I have a question.

When I first bought ginger from White Flower Farm, I received a tiny two-leafed plantling, all for $12.95 plus shipping. When I see it in nurseries, it is always on the expensive side (although less than WFF). I truly don't understand why it is expensive, as it is very easy to propagate through division. My first tiny plant grew very healthy, and each year I have divided it over & over again. I now have batches everywhere --if I could sell it for $12.95 per tiny division, we could retire and live off the proceeds! It doesn't travel, just forming beautiful clumps, but in the spring, dig it up and separate little sections and replant. See below--3 years of photos in a row. Anyway, I encourage anyone who has this and wants more to just divide it.

My question is this: I have seen some seedlings sprout up around my plants. When they survive, they seem to grow teensy little miniature leaves. See the bottom picture. Will these be normal sized leaves next year, or remain miniature? It's just funny because when you divide, the leaves are all full sized, so I've never seen these itty bitty leaves. Cute.

I also included a picture from my parterre garden. I edged the 4 quadrants in divisions of ginger. I haven't yet planted out my annuals that go behind the ginger, but just wanted to show how many plants I've gotten, all from 2 tiny original leaves. I have about 50 more clumps elsewhere. It's my favorite plant!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

Great pics -- thanks for posting them.

I have the same plant and also bought a tiny little thing for way too much money. This is the first year I have divided it, (after having it for about 3 years) and the divisions are looking lovely. I dug the whole thing and just sliced and diced just like Hosta or Sib Iris, just as it was emerging in the spring.

I have it by the back door and everyone comments on it and asks what it is. I will definitely be doing much more dividing next early spring.

Great plant -- highly recommended for anyone who has the opportunity to grow it.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:49PM
lschibley

Do you think it is too late to divide now? I have one that was a nice size chunk, but didn't realize how well they can divide.

Lisa

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:37PM
tulipscarolan(z6 RIcoast)

Hi Lisa,
It is not too late to divide. However, it may look somewhat "sloppy" this year, but it will be great for next year! It is preferable to do it earlier so that it grows into its new shape. But, if you choose to divide it into itty bitty divisions, it will look somewhat funny this year no matter what. So go for it!

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
Annie_NH Plant Swap June 2014
Annie will be having her plant swap on June 1st. I...
annie_nh
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
Sponsored Products
Free Wheeling 32" Wide Golden Ochre Drum Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Sea Gull Lighting Parkview 52 in. Russet Bronze Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Pink Bunny Face Sauce Dish
$5.99 | zulily
Prandina | Ginger Glass S30 Pendant Light
YLighting
BEAutility Semi Flush Mount
Lightology
Ginger Fiesta Sofa - CREAM
$3,699.00 | Horchow
Flexbox Pendant
Lightology
Sea Gull Lighting Pendant Lights Parkview 3-Light Russet Bronze Pendant