Leyland Cypress not Very Full?

phenixdragonApril 22, 2011

I was at Costco today and notice they had some LeyLand Crpress in at already 10' and for $50. Great price but what I am wondering is how full these should be. They just didn't seem very full at all. I could see through the branches and there just didn't seem like a lot of branches. Do they get fuller when planted? I wish I had a picture or something but I don't.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sales of woody ornamentals are down, growers have a glut of large, crowded stock to get rid of. Hence, I am sure, the tall specimens at small prices in warehouse stores. Most look as though dug recently and hastily stuffed into pots, with undersized root-balls.

Leyland cypress is usually root-bound, the stakes on the CostCo stock indicate to me these examples are no exception. On a day to day basis this fast-growing selection should only be bought in small sizes, where there may still be a possibility of opening the roots up at planting time.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:16AM
gardengal48

I agree with much of the above but to answer your question specifically, a sparse appearance for a young Leyland cypress is very common. Once planted and established in the ground, the tree will fill out appropriately.

Not at all sure that a 10' Leyland in a container is such a good deal at any price, though :-) As fast growing as this tree is, a younger, smaller, less inclined to be rootbound specimen is likely to be a better value in the long run.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:31PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The other day I noticed that the CostCo stock of Leyland cypress present at that time had also had side branches pruned back, making it look even more skimpy.

The two warehouse stores I get to the most are CostCo and Home Depot, because I use the CostCo pharmacy. While I am waiting for prescriptions I walk over to Home Depot. Neither outlet is at all good about keeping plants watered in time to prevent shriveling and wilting.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Healthy old-fashioned roses in white and buff/copper?
I've got two particular spots where I'd like to install...
nonconformist_nymphette
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™