Leyland Cypress not Very Full?

phenixdragonApril 22, 2011

I was at Costco today and notice they had some LeyLand Crpress in at already 10' and for $50. Great price but what I am wondering is how full these should be. They just didn't seem very full at all. I could see through the branches and there just didn't seem like a lot of branches. Do they get fuller when planted? I wish I had a picture or something but I don't.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sales of woody ornamentals are down, growers have a glut of large, crowded stock to get rid of. Hence, I am sure, the tall specimens at small prices in warehouse stores. Most look as though dug recently and hastily stuffed into pots, with undersized root-balls.

Leyland cypress is usually root-bound, the stakes on the CostCo stock indicate to me these examples are no exception. On a day to day basis this fast-growing selection should only be bought in small sizes, where there may still be a possibility of opening the roots up at planting time.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:16AM
gardengal48

I agree with much of the above but to answer your question specifically, a sparse appearance for a young Leyland cypress is very common. Once planted and established in the ground, the tree will fill out appropriately.

Not at all sure that a 10' Leyland in a container is such a good deal at any price, though :-) As fast growing as this tree is, a younger, smaller, less inclined to be rootbound specimen is likely to be a better value in the long run.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:31PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The other day I noticed that the CostCo stock of Leyland cypress present at that time had also had side branches pruned back, making it look even more skimpy.

The two warehouse stores I get to the most are CostCo and Home Depot, because I use the CostCo pharmacy. While I am waiting for prescriptions I walk over to Home Depot. Neither outlet is at all good about keeping plants watered in time to prevent shriveling and wilting.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Trying to find Oregon Grape for sale
I am trying to find Oregon Grape - the compacta variety,...
garrai818
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Sponsored Products
Brown Pinot Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
Vigo Industries Frameless Neo-Angle Shower Enclosure - 38" x 38"
Modern Bathroom
Elementum LED Bath Bar and Vanity
Lightology
Swan Style Loveseat
IFN Modern
Comfort Dreams Lumbar Back Support 12-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Oriental Weavers Sphinx Camden 2022D 7'10" x 10' Multi Rug
$280.00 | PlushRugs
78 94" Italian Mosaic Marble Outdoor Table Wrought Iron - TUSCANY
Living'ROC
Liberty Furniture Messina Estates Poster Bed & Dresser & Mirror in Antique Ivory
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™