Lemongrass/Citronella Grass

mariposa013(6)May 5, 2009

Has anyone ever tried these? Our backyard is a bit swampy and I read that the plants can deter mosquitoes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It isn't hardy except in tropical areas if I remember correctly. I grew it one year in a pot on my back patio. I didn't end up using it in cooking, and didn't see any noticeable reduction in mosquitoes, so when it didn't survive the winter indoors, I didn't replace it the next year. I also grow lemon geraniums, and they don't make an appreciable difference in the mosquitoes, either, but they have a nicer scent and they do fine inside over the winter.

The one thing I have found that does make a difference in the mosquito population is putting mosquito dunks in the wet areas near my house. They contain a bacteria that infects only the mosquito larva so that they don't mature into adults. My ideal way to deal with bugs . . . non-toxic, narrowly targetted, and easy.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Bird seed coupon
I know in the past some of you with feeders have asked...
NHBabs
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™