Momma Possum and Babies

Tina_n_Sam(CT-Z6)May 21, 2013

Yesterday I posted a little blurb about an injured momma possum and her babies under CT Swap Part II. I did not see her today. However, the dollop of yogurt I left for her was gone. I am hoping she ate it and not the neighborhood cat, skunk, or raccoon.

Sad to say that the wildlife rehabilatators never returned my voicemails nor email.

I once again reached out to the Ansonia Nature Center for help. I was told to continue giving her the yogurt and included chopped boiled egg and water. Also, if she dies, then, collect her babies and the center will take them. Otherwise, she is on her own.

If the food I leave out tonight doesn't get eaten, I will look through the wooded area behind my yard. This will at least give her babies a chance.

-Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

That's upsetting, Tina, that the wildlife rehabilitators didn't return your calls and emails. I could see them saying they couldn't take the possums and tell you why, but to ignore your contact is unprofessional (and unkind). At least the Ansonia Nature Center is responsive and will take the babies. I suppose it would make a good educational exhibit for visitors.

Good luck.

Claire

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 5:34PM
diggingthedirt

So sad - I love possums. I've read that they are excellent neighbors, in that they don't really do any damage to anything and don't carry any communicable diseases. Good luck with her, I hope she recovers.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:56PM
molie(z6 CT)

I'm also surprised that you received no response from wildlife rehabilitators. I should think this kind of situation, an injured mother and her babies, would be the typical kind of call they get.

I did some online checking about what to do when a baby possum is found. The first thing you did --- contact a wildlife rehabilitator --- is exactly what was suggested because it's difficult to provide for the kind of environmental and bodily functions conditions that they need. Here's the link. Good luck.

Molie

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do if you find orphaned possums

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
Why Animals Do Not Touch the Compost Pile In My Backyard?
I have been doing compost in my backyard for two years....
easycity
Sponsored Products
Chooty and Co. Chevron Design True Turquoise 17 x 17 in. Decorative Throw Pillow
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Salsbury Industries Lockers 72000 Series 12 in. W x 78 in. H x 12 in. D Double
Home Depot
Salsbury Industries Lockers S-61000 Series 12 in. W x 78 in. H x 18 in. D
Home Depot
Babyletto Skip 3-in-1 Chestnut and White Convertible Crib with Toddler Rail
Overstock.com
Educational Insights Kat the Talking Teaching Kitty - 2349
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Racing Cornhole Set with Bags - RACING RED/ROYAL
$180.96 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: