My tomatoes are in! Yours?

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)May 4, 2013

May 1 is the usual date I aim for, to get the tomato plants into the ground. This year I was 2 days late, but they (30 of them, 4 varieties) are now in, fertilized, mulched. Tomorrow I make them cutworm protectors out of little paper cups. Are yours in?

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Nope - at least another 2 or 3 weeks for mine. We are still getting night-time frosts.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 8:14PM
girlcat36(6 ish)

I'm still shuffling mine inside at night. It just seems so cold at night right now.....I'm going to wait another week.

Teresa

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:23PM
diggerdee

Ooh, goodness no, lol. I don't usually put my tomatoes in till almost June. They ARE outside, but still small and cozy in their milk jugs (I winter-sow mine).

One year I did put them out a bit earlier than usual (for me) in about mid-May, and I used the tops of soda botles with the caps off for cloches. Worked quite well.

But now my garlic is where my tomatoes go. The last few years I have grown an early-harvest garlic (harvested in late May/earlyJune) so I don't have much choice but to wait anyway. :)

Dee

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:29PM
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

I've tried the tomatoes in early May experiment several times and got burned every time. Either frost kills them or the cold air/soil stunts their growth. Planting warm weather crops around Memorial Day is the way to go at least along the coast where I live.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:53PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I haven't gotten mine in but plan to next week. I've put plants out in May lots of times, but I always use Wall of Waters around them until it gets hot. That has worked out fine for me.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:57AM
defrost49

Still too cold at night for us, same zone as nhbabs. We have a nigh tunnel that I had hoped would help with early tomatoes but I'm still learning the knack of growing in it. Have the door open and one side rolled up because I have sugar snap peas planted inside plus over-wintered spinach and beets and newly seeded cold hardy plants. It still gets extremely warm during the day but down to 30 inside at night, just as cold as outside. I can't experiment this year because I'm leaving my husband to garden sit while I'm away for almost 2 weeks but am tempted with one overgrown tomato seedling that fell over yesterday. Still needs to be hardened off, though.

It seems to be an extra cold spring.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 7:32AM
cris(6b RI)

Not mine...I wait until evening temps are consistently 55 degrees to put out my tomatoes and basil.

I have planted tomatoes early and they always get beat up with cool temps and they never seem to be further ahead because I get them in earlier.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:52AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Still haven't put my warm weather veggie plants in and happy that I didn't. By the time I do, I may not need wall of waters. Every time I hear a forecast for low temps at night, I hold off a few more days, turning into weeks now. I'm hoping to plant out after this latest cold front moves through without using wall of waters. Maybe.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:04AM
siennact

I haven't put any annuals or vegetables in either, mostly just due to lack of time, but after seeing the forecast for tonight and tomorrow night I am glad!

With tomatoes I have always felt like it didn't matter when I put them in because until it warms up they don't do much. I often buy a single, larger plant and put it alongside tiny volunteers and they end up the same size by August.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:19AM
sconticut(6b)

No sensible gardener in New England puts their tomatoes in before Memorial Day weekend. Peppers do well a week or so later. This is my 68 th year of planting tomatoes and other warm wx crops.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:44PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I planted my tomato and pepper plants last weekend. I looked at the weather for this week and since it was supposed to be rainy and not get below 50 at night, it seemed a good time to plant. I also planted my potatoes (quite a bit later than usual.)

I still haven't planted my squash and other really warm weather crops that I grow from seed.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:44PM
diggingthedirt

Roberta Clark of the CC County Extension is putting her tomatoes in this week, a bit early, also because of the weather forecast.

I don't grow tomatoes, but the basil I put in early - around the time Carol planted her tomatoes - is not doing very well. I bought replacement plants (it was only a six-pack) and I'll see if they do better than the originals. It won't be a very scientific test, but they'll be in the same raised bed, replacing some arugula that's going by.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™