How did wintersowing go for you?

aphroditelaughs(Puget Sound)April 6, 2009

This was my first year wintersowing, and doesn't it figure we get an unusual winter. I have had some things sprout, but probably just less than half of what I ws'd. How did the rest of you fare? Was this winter just too cold? Is there a flaw in my technique? Is it too early to tell if I succeeded or not? I'd love to hear about other's experiences.

Thanks,

Ellie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kellycomposter(8)

This is my first year as well. So far, it's been going great. I think the recent nice weather has helped as I've been getting more containers sprouting everyday. Some still haven't sprouted but am told to remain patient and they will most likely pop up. Am waiting on most of my hollyhocks, pestemen, lavender, lambs ears, alpine strawberries, and a few others that haven't sprouted. Poppies have sprouted so have blackeyed susans, mexican hat, lettuce, spinach, lupine, garlic chives, painted daisies, soapwort, brussel sprouts, broccoli, parsley and broccoli rabi.

What did you winter sow? Kelly

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 12:15AM
barbe_wa

I've been wintersowing for several years and things seem a bit slower to sprout this year. About 1/3 of mine have sprouted but with this warm sunshine I'm getting more every day. I think we may just have to be patient - the hard winter slowed everything down.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 1:16AM
cherylco

My first year veggy gardening and I decided to try the gammut of methods, including early sowing, and call it a 'learning experience'.

Spinach, arugula, chard, green onions and mesclun are up.
The peas and snap pears are both about a half-foot tall. The first planting of both is shorter than the second planting; the second planting was pre-soaked for about a week, but not by plan: I just couldn't picture putting them in the ground while it was snowing!

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 10:39AM
aphroditelaughs(Puget Sound)

Thanks, all. I feel a bit better. Another question: did you cover your flats with a lid, or leave them open to the elements? I have seen both methods advised and wonder what works best for our climate.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 12:11PM
barbe_wa

I use the milk jugs as suggested in the Wintersowing Forum and I leave the tops on (not the lids) until they sprout. I sow some in the under-the-bed plastic containers and I put the lids on those until they sprout. I don't use flats, but would probably cover those, too.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 1:00PM
clc70(8 Wa.)

Am still sowing my annuals. Have about 200 milk jugs sown, and approximatly 50 jugs have sprouts. this is my second year, and I'm not worried.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Healthy old-fashioned roses in white and buff/copper?
I've got two particular spots where I'd like to install...
nonconformist_nymphette
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™