help me pick a companion plant

drcindy(z8 WA)April 22, 2009

I need some help in choosing a companion plant for a small raised garden bed. It's south facing but under an eave, so it only receives morning sun and tends to get rather dry since the rains don't reach it and I'm a bit neglectful in the summer with watering. I've just planted a Hebe "Great Orne" in the center (it's just a small 2-gallon size now but I know it will get much larger) and there is a small butterfly bush to one side. I need to find something to place on the other side of the hebe that will like the water and light conditions and won't get too large, i.e. 3' or so. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hallerlake

My favorite plants for dry shade are Sarcoccoccas. They're evergreen, bloom in February (the flowers are insignificant but very fragrant). You could underplant with hardy Cyclamen (a combination of C. hederifolium, C. cilicium, and C. coum would give you flowers all winter)and the native Sedum spathifolium.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 12:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Osmanthus delavayi is blooming now, smells good, and has nice foliage, though a little open.

My Daphne tangutica is blooming great this year, surpassing my D. odora variegata. Daphne xtransylvanica= Caucasia Summer Ice is a lovely mounding shrub that blooms all summer unlike the spring-blooming ones.

I also like a couple of Hypericums I bought 3 years ago- H. frondosum and kalmianum- greyish foliage and yellow pincushion flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne tangutica

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Seattle Area -- Where to buy Kristin's Blush
Hi. The wife of a dear friend recently passed away...
blameitontherain
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
Kristin
Groundcover for moist shade
I live in Portland and I Am looking for a low growing...
Karenseb
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Sponsored Products
Rainforest Garden 3-Piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Fosters Point Glass With Hydrangearangea Orchid Lilac
Beyond Stores
Antique Black Oval Olive Tub
$19.99 | zulily
Allium Grass
$635.00 | Horchow
Annie Four-Tier Shelf
$349.99 | Dot & Bo