Moving Astilbes and hostas?

mwood322May 9, 2007

Last year we moved a grill and shaded some astilbes in one of our planting beds. They came back this year, but with barely 2 or 3 leaf sets, whereas another one we have with more light looks like a small bush.

If I'm fairly sure they're not going to bloom where they are anyway, is there any good reason to not move them now and give them the chance to recover with better light, rather than let them sit in the dark again and move them in fall when it seems to be recommended?

Same Question for some hostas, only they need to move due to being in a high traffic zone, and are barely up yet, just leaf spikes... If they stay they'll just get shredded again by the dogs.

Thanks,

--Mia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

I have moved mature Astilbes mid-season with no great ill effect. Fear not! dig 'em, relocate 'em, and dont' give it a second thought.

If you put them into amended soil in a decent site, they thrive. Astilbe and Hosta are SURVIVORS.

(I love both of them!)

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 8:10PM
ku9296

Actually spring is a good time to divide or transplant
hostas, especially when they're just emerging. Same with
astilbe; spring is a good time for dividing/transplanting.
So go ahead and move them around--they're both very tough.
I actually divided/moved both astilbe and hosta in the
middle of the summer last year but they both took it well
and came back this spring with more vigor!

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 8:26PM
mwood322

Thanks, it seemed like moving them now was better, but everywhere I looked said move them in fall, but by fall they would all have been destroyed, or dead from lack of light.

--Mia

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 8:33PM
york_rose

Haven't grown Astilbe, but I can certainly assure that as long as you take normal care of a transplanted plant the Hostas will be just fine. Just make sure they stay hydrated until you can tell they've settled in and are putting out new growth in the new spot.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:10PM
EGO45(6bCT)

If your astilbes are well established, dividing at the moment of moving will be beneficial for the plant.
Take a sharp knife and cut right in a middle of the hard woody center. Replant slightly deeper than it was originally and water. This time of the year should be no ill effect.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:17PM
mwood322

The astilbes are basically dying where they are, few leaves last year,a dn even less this year, and they haven't been in the ground more than two years, so I expect I won't have much to divide.

I'm gonna take pics before I move them then again later in the summer so I can be sure they got better rather than worse.

--Mia

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™