Triple Cherry Fizzle

boxofrox(z8 PNW)May 17, 2009

A number of years ago we planted one of those little trees with 3 types of cherries grafted. Each year it has produced a little more for my wife and the critters to battle over. Between the birds, the squirrels, the coons, or the possums, my wife never seems to get as many as she would like. Anyway, last year the cherries got half ripe only to shrivel up and fall off the tree and ever since then she has been bugging me to ask why. This year the tree which has now matured to about 12 or 13' is absolutely loaded and I'd be in deep voodoo if I didn't ask and somehow prevent a repeat performance. Not only does she want me to try to prevent the fizzle but she's devising ways to try and avoid sharing any of the bumper crop with the interlopers :-)

If anyone could shed some light on the reason for last years fizzle, I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hallerlake

My guess would be poor pollination. Cool weather at bloom time and the decline of honey bees means fewer polinators are active. Short of getting out there with a brush and pollinating them yourself, there's not a lot you can do about it this year. You might consider getting some mason bees next year.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 10:52AM
boxofrox(z8 PNW)

If it's loaded this year, doesn't that mean it was already polinated ?

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 4:35PM
larry_gene

Unless the cherries progress past the pea-size stage and quickly gain size, they can fall off any time. Try lightly brushing them with your hand and see how well they are fastened to the branch. Maybe this will be your year for cherries.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™