will hosta and iris good to be planted close to each other

amberdimAugust 4, 2014

I just planted 50 or so irises with some hosta in between... good ...bad ...? Are they good together?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
almosthooked

Once your iris get big they will hog the room but I have some in with the hosta and they look great. I just keep the plants in a size of maybe a 5 gal bucket area and thin them out if they get too large, Get some really nice color when they flower and then the leaves give dimension with the upright spikes . Could only find one picture from July after they finished blooming

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:51AM
donrawson(Z 5)

No, they are NOT ideal companion plants. Tall bearded iris should be planted in full sun and well-drained soil, and should not be mulched. They require special care such as treatment to prevent iris bores and sprayed with fungicide to prevent iris leaf-spot disease. In addition, bearded iris need divided every three or four years to eliminate over-crowding and produce good bloom.

Hostas, on the other hand, do well in dappled shade or indirect sunlight. They appreciate frequent watering and mulch. Hostas should be treated for slug prevention, which is not a problem for irises.

One final note...and this is my personal opinion... I don't think the foliage of irises inter-planted with hostas makes a visually pleasant landscape. The companion plants I prefer in my hosta glade are ferns, lilies, and a variety of woodland plants.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 5:59PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what don said.. in toto.. including his personal opinion ...

ken

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:49PM
amberdim

Thank you all . Live and learn... I guess I only can hope they will survive together .

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Zinc plant markers
Is this what everyone is using? I saw 100 for sale...
CindyCRNA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™