Farewell to a tree

pixie_louMay 19, 2013

We had tree work done this week. We had to remove the silver maple in the front yard due to our solar panels. While we had the tree guy here, we also removed 6 whitepine and 2 invasive ailanthus. It was quite a site to watch. Especially the removal of the ailanthus in the backyard.

We had a cherry picked and a crane. Most of the trees were taken down in 2 cuts - first the tree top and then the trunk.

Scoping out the ailanthus down by the pond.

The red thing is the hoist of the crane - the climber uses the cable and hoist to get to the tree top if he can't use the bucket truck.

Here he is getting up to the second ailanthus.

The top of the ailanthus is secured, the climber is cutting off the top.

Up comes the tree top.

Over the roof of the house

And down in the side yard to be limbed and chipped. You can see the pile of pine trunks in the background - from the 6 pines that were removed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Wow. I don't know what made my stomach flip more - the worker hanging in mid-air, or half a tree hanging in mid-air over your roof!

What a beautiful pond you have in back! What is the triple-trunked tree that is there? Hopefully it still IS there? LOL. It's quite lovely.

Dee

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:54PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Great photos. It never would have occurred to me that the tree guys would use a crane to "fly" the trees out.

It will be interesting to see how this effects your solar gain also.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:48AM
diggingthedirt

Cool photos - thanks for posting them.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:48PM
pixie_lou

dee - that's our old apple tree. We get a few apples every year. the tree good use a good pruning - lots of dead limbs on it.

yes - it was pretty freaking watching these huge trees fly over my house!

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:01PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I hope he painted the trunk of that Ailanthus with herbicide after cutting it. When you cut down Ailanthus altisima it sends signals throughout its rhizomes that stimulate growth along the nodes on the rhizome. As a result you end up with lots of little Ailanthus trees sprouting all over the place. The rhizomes I dug out when I cut mine down went all the way across my lawn, at least 40 feet. It takes a while but you can kill it. It took me 3 years.

Steve

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:12PM
spedigrees z4VT

Wow! I haven't seen anything so scary as the photo of the tree top being lifted by the crane over your rooftop, Pixie! (Not since seeing our house raised up to put in the new foundation, that is!) It looks like they accomplished a big job professionally and quickly.

I was surprised to see that your home is in a suburban setting. From your garden photos around the pond, I had envisoned a rural landscape. Your back yard is a bucolic oasis in any case.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™