Tomatoes touching cloche

whitmanMay 13, 2009

Hello all. We put out our tomatoes last week after spending a couple weeks indoors growing by the window. It was pretty windy and cool here in seattle the last week so i wrapped some plastic around the cages to protect them. However, because the plants had grown quite a bit indoors, they are pushing up against the plastic which is wet with condensation. My question is if that is a problem or not? Should i cut some holes in the plastic so the moisture can escape?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scarleta

Whitman: its a great idea to protect tomatoes in our PNW area, but ideally they should not be touching the wet plastic.I would let some air in to dry them and fix it so they won't be in touch with the wet plastic.
YOU will have great tomatoes. Mine are " being trained" to go out and on the weekend they should be ready.I will also protect them as it makes a big difference.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 11:17AM
pdxmark

I've had mine out since mid-April. They were under a plastic cloche up until last week, but have gotten so big they were pressing against the top of the cloche, even after I extended the height. They've been uncovered for the past week and seem happier, even with our cool bits of weather. I have blossoms on at least the Sun Golds.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 6:28PM
whitman

scarleta: thanks for confirming my suspicions that the tomatoes would not appreciate the constant moisture. I will probably move the plastic up a few inches on the bottom so it can get some air moving around. Or a couple small holes around the top would allow the moisture to escape but still keep up the temps. We are looking to have some warm weather here this weekend so I can probably take the plastic off for a few days.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 6:40PM
scarleta

You are welcome Whitman: I hope you have great tomatoes this Summer.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™