Is this a weed?

pixie_louMay 17, 2012

OK - another one of these "Is this a weed". I have a couple of these growing in the garden. The seem to be evenly spaced, which makes me think it could be something I planted? But I don't recognize it. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

Maybe it's time for me to try the name this plant forum. I was out looking at the gardens this morning and there is very little change in appearance from last week. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but each of these plants in the garden has 2 stems.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 8:39AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I have this plant also, and almost yanked it as a weed, but as I had my hand on it, I stopped, just in case....

So now I'm watching it to see what it will do. My gut says weed, but since I have no confidence in my weed-identifying abilities, I'm waiting.

I really should get organized. I should take photos of theses things and ID them as I find out what they are, and keep a file for reference. I really should...

Dee

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 3:46PM
molie(z6 CT)

No idea --- it doesn't really look like a weed. Could it be the seedling of something you planted a season or so ago, like an annual or biennial?

Molie

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 4:15PM
jaynine

Lysimachia punctata/Loosestrife~can be invasive.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 8:27PM
pixie_lou

Jaynine - you were right. I just noticed a few flowers on the stalks this morning and it definitely is the yellow loosestrife. From my reading, it appears to be "invasive" in full sun conditions. But since it's growing in partial shade, in an area that I am trying to fill in, I will definitely let it stay. I *think* I dug it up at my moms house. Which would explain the even spacing.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™