Cherry tree fell over - white stuff inside?

DeniseEMay 20, 2013

We live in Bellingham WA and have a cherry tree in our side yard. Not sure what kind it is. There are actually several trunks./branches coming up from the ground.

Saturday morning we came outside and discovered that a big - probably 20 foot - section had fallen over / broken off. At the base where it broke, inside you can see some white stuff. I don't know if it's fungus, mold, some type of rot? The rest of the tree seems solid. I'm wondering what would have caused this to happen. I'm attaching some photos.

Thanks so much for your help and for sharing your knowledge with me!
all best,
Denise

This post was edited by DeniseE on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:14

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DeniseE

Here's another photo!

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:17PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Fungus was growing in tight branch crotch, branch came off because it was a weak crotch - does not mean there is a problem with rest of tree. Except in the second picture it looks like green "tree" may be cherry plum rootstock sprouts coming from beneath a purple-leaved plum to the right - in which case all the green-leaved stems should be cut to the ground and kept cut down.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:31PM
DeniseE

Thanks so much for your answer! I don't know if the green is part of the purple tree; the purple is on our neighbor's property and the green on ours. It's hard to tell what's trunk and what's branch as multiple ones come up out of the ground. The tree is probably 25 feet tall or more and is over 20 years old. I hope the whole thing doesn't have to be cut down as it's beautiful and gives us some privacy (not to mention cherries!).

Thanks again for your help!
cheers -
Denise

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:09PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you're getting cherries, then it wouldn't be a cherry plum. Cherry plums produce small, red plums, often not that interesting in flavor or texture, and definitely not cherries. Otherwise the thicket of stems near a purple-leaved plum tree is a typical situation resulting from grafting of purple-leaved plums onto cherry plums. I've got a clump of cherry plum in my yard I have to keep cutting off, it came from a grafted purple-leaved plum on the other side of the fence, now cut down - but still providing The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 1:13AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I've always avoided cherries and plums in my garden. For the most part, they're more trouble than they're worth.
mike

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
Kristin
Trying to find Oregon Grape for sale
I am trying to find Oregon Grape - the compacta variety,...
garrai818
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™