Disposal of small rocks?

kruiseMay 22, 2009

Can't find an appropriate forum so here it goes.

When I dig to plan anything I either run into solid clay or rocks. The rocks seem to be part of debris used to create a railroad grade. The rocks are mixed with clay and are right under the sod. They range from small rocks to the size of a man's fist. Where does one dispose of rocks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pdxmark

I used to toss them in the trash. Now I keep/add to a pile of them to be used for various future projects.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 3:54PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I dug out a spot under all of my hose bibs and filled in with rocks so it doesn't get muddy.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 5:10PM
amesly(8 B.C.)

Collect them in a pile then occasionally post them for free on a "Freecycle" type website... people will drop whatever they're doing and come running for free rocks. :)

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 10:09PM
larry_gene

If you have a fair quantity and want to dispose of them on your own time schedule, try a local landfill that accepts clean dirt/clay/rocks/cement/bricks, etc.

In East Portland, one such landfill charges a $10 minimum, but a whole pickup load would probably not be much more than $10.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 12:38AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Walls, pathways, mulching...

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 1:20AM
elkins(8 PNW)

I've got a gazillion of those rocks too, although I think in my case it's because this property used to be riverbed. I absolutely *love* rock, but these smooth round ones are rather annoying. You can't make walls out of them, because they're too round, and you can't make comfortable paths out of them, because they're too big; and if you try to mulch with them, weeds just grow right through the cracks and when you try to pull them out---avalanche! I've edged all of my beds and pathways with them, and scattered them in amongst my heat-loving herbs, but I still find myself in possession of piles and piles of the rotten things. I'd love to use them for *something*, but I'm completely at a loss as to what else they'd be good for. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™