An Abundance of swallows

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)May 28, 2013

For the past few days we have had dozens of swallows swooping and catching bugs above our property! They are a mixed group of either violet-green or tree-swallows plus many barn swallows. What a sight. And, what wonderful bug-catchers they are! Given the continuous wet conditions there must be a hatch of things but these guys are sure taking care of it. It certainly makes it worthwhile putting up swallow boxes. We are being repaid in a very good way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drtdgr(z8PNWTacoma)

I adore swallows. I've been watching them at some of the places I work. Harmony Hill, in Union by the Hood Canal, has many birdhouses and I must post a picture of the babies hanging out waiting for food.

There are swallows closer by Puget Sound where I live, but I haven't seen them at my house.

I've seen a lot of bald eagles around too, more than usual.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:26AM
flowerpowereverett

We used to have tons of Violet-green Swallows in my neighborhood, nesting near the pond a few blocks away. The past two years have been so terribly wet, I don't think they were able to nest. This year isn't looking any better :-(

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 9:05PM
steelskies(5)

Four-story swallow nest: Every year they build on the old one. I though they couldn't go any higher, but sure enough, they built on top of last years. Here's a picture of the cute babies the day before they left their nest

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:33PM
vinnybob(z8Oregon)

I had a box up for years where I live, now I haven't seen any in at least 5 or 6 years

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 6:31PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Steelskies, what a wonderful picture! I think these must be barn swallows because of the orange colour. We haven't had many of these around in the past couple of years -- they are SO beautiful!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:06PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Dotty lucky you, I haven't seen a swallow around here for quite a few years, we used to have Barn Swallows, Violet Greens and Tree Swallows but they all seemed to have moved on to greener pastures. When the Tree Swallows arrived I knew spring was here to stay.

Annette

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:50AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Hi Annette. This began as last year's posting, but 2014 has been great too. I haven't seen barn swallows on the property though. Also, between the swallows and the bats I haven't seen a mosquito either! Happy summer.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 2:57PM
onlyhischild

We've had an abundance of swallows this year in Elbe. I just moved here last November and this is my first spring/summer season. Seeing them made me extremely happy as I thought my birds in Mississippi would be the last small ones I'd see.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:08AM
steelskies(5)

Thanks to all for your replies. It makes me so sad when they leave. I love their little chirping and flying around my farm. It also makes me so sad when I read people asking how to kill them because they are in their barns. How could anyone............ They are my favorite bird!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™