An Abundance of swallows

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)May 28, 2013

For the past few days we have had dozens of swallows swooping and catching bugs above our property! They are a mixed group of either violet-green or tree-swallows plus many barn swallows. What a sight. And, what wonderful bug-catchers they are! Given the continuous wet conditions there must be a hatch of things but these guys are sure taking care of it. It certainly makes it worthwhile putting up swallow boxes. We are being repaid in a very good way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drtdgr(z8PNWTacoma)

I adore swallows. I've been watching them at some of the places I work. Harmony Hill, in Union by the Hood Canal, has many birdhouses and I must post a picture of the babies hanging out waiting for food.

There are swallows closer by Puget Sound where I live, but I haven't seen them at my house.

I've seen a lot of bald eagles around too, more than usual.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:26AM
flowerpowereverett

We used to have tons of Violet-green Swallows in my neighborhood, nesting near the pond a few blocks away. The past two years have been so terribly wet, I don't think they were able to nest. This year isn't looking any better :-(

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 9:05PM
steelskies(5)

Four-story swallow nest: Every year they build on the old one. I though they couldn't go any higher, but sure enough, they built on top of last years. Here's a picture of the cute babies the day before they left their nest

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 5:33PM
vinnybob(z8Oregon)

I had a box up for years where I live, now I haven't seen any in at least 5 or 6 years

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 6:31PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Steelskies, what a wonderful picture! I think these must be barn swallows because of the orange colour. We haven't had many of these around in the past couple of years -- they are SO beautiful!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:06PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Dotty lucky you, I haven't seen a swallow around here for quite a few years, we used to have Barn Swallows, Violet Greens and Tree Swallows but they all seemed to have moved on to greener pastures. When the Tree Swallows arrived I knew spring was here to stay.

Annette

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:50AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Hi Annette. This began as last year's posting, but 2014 has been great too. I haven't seen barn swallows on the property though. Also, between the swallows and the bats I haven't seen a mosquito either! Happy summer.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 2:57PM
onlyhischild

We've had an abundance of swallows this year in Elbe. I just moved here last November and this is my first spring/summer season. Seeing them made me extremely happy as I thought my birds in Mississippi would be the last small ones I'd see.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:08AM
steelskies(5)

Thanks to all for your replies. It makes me so sad when they leave. I love their little chirping and flying around my farm. It also makes me so sad when I read people asking how to kill them because they are in their barns. How could anyone............ They are my favorite bird!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
looking for scion wood in Portland area
I'm looking for peach and possibly apple scion wood....
jimmy21
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™