Dwarf Hemlock in container? Or other suggestions...

oldgumbootsMay 29, 2013

Hello,

I have a spot with a concrete structure (looks like a small well) that is part of a drainage (not sewage) system. You can see it in the picture. I have been trying to think of something evergreen and deer resistant to grow approximately where the tall grass/weeds/rocks are and cover the concrete thing. I would love a dwarf prostrate evergreen but am concerned about the roots getting into the pipes. I'm assuming the roots would invade? Also, not sure what could thrive in the heavy wet clay that is there.

Sooo, am wondering about planting a 'Cole's Prostrate' hemlock in a container, then digging the container into the ground a bit and letting it grow over the structure.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to grow a dwarf hemlock?

How long can you keep an evergreen like this in a container? Will it's growth be limited by being in a container? How large a container would I need?

Are there other evergreens that come to mind that might suit this predicament?

I would love for it to one day become a large mounding green cover.

Thanks in advance!

Ramona

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantknitter(8)

Microbiota decussata?

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 2:46AM
OregonGrape

It's not exactly a "dwarf" hemlock, but Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana) might do well planted in that wet, thick clay if you have partial sun or partial shade. These are nice ornamental trees that don't get too big over the span of a lifetime. I can't say for sure that its roots won't go after the pipes, but they're not regarded as all that aggressive. I have one planted near sprinkler system piping and it's no problem. Mountain Hemlocks are *very* slow (maybe 4" a year) to 20'-30' in lower elevations (vs. 60'-90' in the mountains). It will require ample mulch and once-a-week watering in the summer.

If you're interested, find a nursery that sells them in 5 gallon pots. (You'll want the tree that's at least 2' tall. Saplings grow something ridiculous like 1" a year.)

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 2:57PM
changingitup(8 PDX)

I have an 'or other suggestion'. Would you consider Ornamental grasses? They can look nice year around and I am not positive, but I would think the roots would be less likely to cause damage. I just googled ornamental grass images and there are quite a few attractive ones. Just a thought...

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Need help with identifying the greens in my garden.
Hi I moved to a house in Washington state and i found...
wonryu132
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Sponsored Products
Diamante Grey Matelasse Standard-size Sham
Overstock.com
Lux Pet Crate Mattress
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Jardins du Seda France Royal Incense Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
1000 Thread Count Cotton Blend Striped Easy Care Sheet Set with Bonus Pillowcase
Overstock.com
Square Tanganika Wood Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Naturally Free Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
Percy Bench - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Wiremold: Carpet Protector: Roberts Tool StorageFittings & Kits: Pro Carpet
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™