climbing hydrangea infestation

susie2scottieJune 13, 2012

All three of my four-year-old climbing hydrangea bushes - in separate locations in the yard - have fibrous, cottony, white, sticky, fairly rectangular spots under their leaves. From the top they are the normal green.

One bush has seriously deteriorated and I expect the others will follow without help.

Does anyone recognize this disease and know how to treat it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lalala

I think it's cottony scale. (I've seen it called cottony cushion scale, cottony camellia scale, and cottony hydrangea scale--not sure if these are different things that can all affect hydrangea, or different names for the same thing.) I found some on my hydrangea last year but it was a limited infestation so I just pulled off those leaves. Hope someone else has a suggestion about how to treat it.

I'm going to go check my plants now!

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 3:09PM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

You can always use a spray oil that smothers them. I have gotten that on holly and it worked. Do yourself a favor and get a jar sprayer for the hose, the oil is a concentrate. I used a pump garden sprayer and I got more on me than on the plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 4:41PM
lalala

I did find some scale on my hydrangeas too! bummer.

And I guess my memory is not so great, because I asked a question about it on the hydrangea forum last year and got a good explanation. Here is the thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Scale post

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:12PM
susie2scottie

Thank you all for suggestions. After all the reading on scale I think I'll try washing today with some soap and oil. It may not work, but it'll make me feel better than watching it grow!

Interesting, I have two holly trees between two of the hydrangea plants and I've read that holly is susceptible to scale. I pray to the garden gods that they're safe.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 8:30AM
FroofyCat(5)

i just removed a holly bush that was covered with the stuff. I was wondering what it was.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 1:53PM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

I have been getting it on hollies also. I sprayed one last year with the oil and it worked but the other 2 I had to respray this weekend. I also get scales on euonymus. I fina;;y got a hose end sprayer and it works much better than the garden pump srayer.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™