help with radishes, please...

natalija_gardenerMay 8, 2012

Hi,

may be some of you can help me with advise what to do to improve quality of radishes. I noticed that my radishes grow or too small, or too strange shapem or too bushy and small root. My friend noticed the same about law quality of radishes in her garden. We are Russians so we like it and use a lot in salads. I wonder if you can recommend the ways how to grow delisious radishes here in Northwest.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

You need a pretty good quality soil to grow any kind of root crop here, our soil often is too gravelly and low in humus. Same goes for any salad greens. I've only gotten good results by growing in raised beds with purchased top soil. Planting in the ground has always given me poor results.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 10:14AM
larry_gene

We have had good results in-ground with carrots/beets/lettuce, it can be done. Doing radishes for the first time this year--sprouts look good so far. Cover crop is worked in most years--usually red clover.

Evenly-timed watering is important also--wild swings in weather can make this difficult.

I assume your radish problem is not due to crowding or lack of thinning the sproutlings.

Make sure your soil is not too coarse--break the top six inches down finer if necessary.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:37PM
natalija_gardener

Reg, I had okey results with beets last year, although they were a little weired looking, but radishes are not so good, I guess it is a soil.
One more thing the worm gets in most of them before I get to them, and eats it inside. Any thoughts on that?
Ande thanks Larry for your recomendations

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Healthy old-fashioned roses in white and buff/copper?
I've got two particular spots where I'd like to install...
nonconformist_nymphette
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™