Grouch Weed

Elijahs.Mimi(6)June 10, 2012

Hi all, I use to post on this forum years ago as Cosmos. Anyway, I moved last year and have a nice big yard to plant in. It was June and I was so tired from the moved I put my potted perennials in groups and called it a summer. This year I have gotten most of them in the ground and everything (except seedling sunflowers being eaten) is doing great.

But, the lawn itself has no organic material(I have a compost pile started) and is full of weeds. This one which I call the grouch weed because it reminds me of Oscar the Grouch is so invasive. I've seen these all my life, but my side yard is so full of them that when I get rid of them I will have mostly dirt.

Thanks, Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Hi Susan! Welcome back to the forum - are you looking for an ID on this weed? Either my eyes or my laptop screen aren't up to the job - could you post a more close-up photo? I tried clicking on it to expand it, but that just takes me to a tinypic login/sign up page.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:14AM
asarum(z6 Boston)

It looks like buckhorn plantain to me, so check that out. I believe this is a perennial weed. One has to make sure to get the bulbous root out too.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:56AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

If you want grass there, spray that stuff with Glyphosate (Roundup), then buy some composted cow manure (if you haven't got enough) and till it in. Rake it, seed it, cover with straw and then keep it moist.

If that stuff spreads vegetatively (bulbs) as well as by seed, you won't get rid of it easily. Since there is no viable lawn there you should just kill it. Glyphosate is soil deactivated and you should be able to plant about a week after treatment.

Steve

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Climbing hydrangea question
Green gardener here. This is kind of a silly question...
c_ coy 7aMA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™