How is h.'Earth Angel' doing in your garden?

bernd ny zone5September 18, 2013

Hosta 'Earth Angel' looks so beautiful on pictures, was Hosta of the Year, I want to have a big beauty like that!
But my 3 in my yard, one doubled up, are not doing anything except loose leaves. I just bought a 4th, a pot with several eyes at half price, planted it in a nice hole with leaf compost, hoping for the best. Mine grow in partial shade.

Does any of you have grown large clumps, and how do you grow them?
Bernd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaflover76(5b)

Last year

This year

Potted it up cuz it obviously needs babying

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:16AM
vivian_2010

This is my Early Angel taken in late May, planted as a 2-eye plant last fall (clearance sale). It doubled the size since last fall. I have it in a deep shade with very minimum sun exposure. It is right next to the vent connected to the drier so lot of mistreatment from the hot vent every week. This is one hosta that is mostly neglected by me (not in a location with other hostas). But it is doing really well. The color varigation is a lot more distinct now than when this picture was taken. And some new leaves have emerged throughout the summer. I definitely want to stop for a moment and admire it when I hapen to walk by.
Slugs seem to like it too but Sluggo seem to work well. now it is under control.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:58AM
dougald_gw

Not a big clump ... but my Earth Angel has grown well.

I too have it in full shade and it gets about 1.5 inches of water per week. Some loose pine needles seem to keep slugs away. It is troublefree cross my fingers ...

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 1:07PM
Eleven(Metro Detroit 6A)

No large clump for me yet, but mine is pretty carefree for a second year plant.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 1:55PM
hostahosta

Mine is also second year. Decent increase from year one. Mine is in full shade.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 2:34PM
hostasmith(5)

I have five that are all new this year. All of them seem to be doing good. The smaller ones seem to be putting on a lot of new leaves, getting ready for a major jump next season, I hope.

Plant 1 gets afternoon sun

Plants 2 & 3 get only morning sun

Plants 4 & 5 get some mid day sun and a little late afternoon sun.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 3:26PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Mine gets a little bit of afternoon sun, but is in dappled shade otherwise. Third year. A bit slow but progressing nicely.

Steve

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:27PM
jan_on zone 5b

Planted this guy last summer - looks pretty happy now.
Jan

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 7:15PM
melati(5)

I have a pretty good size clump.... And its getting a couple hours of midday sun.
Earlier this year,

And last year.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 7:24PM
nutmeg4061(5b)

My tiny start, with maybe an hour of dappled sun in the morning, didn't do much the second year. The third year I went to check it after it had leafed out. Three of the largest hosta leaves I've ever seen in my yard greeted me. Clearly bigger than dinner plates. Hated to, but I moved it to more sun. Year 4 it has many more leaves, but they're much smaller again.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:08PM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

This year EA looks terrible. It's bigger than ever, but all ratty edges. I'm hoping it was the 100 degree May day followed a day later by freezing, although it didn't affect the hostas beside it. It is at the end of the row and does get the most direct sun, so fingers crossed.

The picture is from 2012, when it was a thing of beauty. It gets a fair amount of sun, and grows like a weed. To give you scale, the blocks behind it are a foot wide.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:57PM
Wendys_garden(5b Great Lakes)

Mine is 4 years old. I think it's doing pretty good considering it's directly under a maple tree & surrounded by concrete.

Wendy

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 9:04PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Wow, Wendy, both those guys in that bed are HUGE. And I really like Earth Angel the more I look at it.

One thing, though. I'll have to move it away from Seducer because it is too similar, and I cannot tell them apart unless I look for the tags or now Seducer's seedpods.

Today I took new pictures of the garden, and made sure I included EA in them. It is a tall plant, just received it this season. I guess it is flopping a bit with its big leaves and tall stems, because the tape came off a while back. It is pretty tall.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:03AM
bernd ny zone5

WOW, there are really good looking h. 'Earth Angel's in your gardens. So it must be the spots I placed them in and/or I simply have to wait a few more years. They are certainly a keeper. Thanks for showing! Bernd

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:06AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Mine is a slow grower. However it only gets about an hour of early morning sun. (I tried to show growth progression in one post but access to photobucket denied re "Trojan")

Purchased 2010

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:22AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Earth Angel 2011

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:25AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Earth Angel 2012

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:28AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Earth Angel 2013

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:31AM
hostahillbilly(4)

planted 1996 fairly heavy shade

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:44PM
Wendys_garden(5b Great Lakes)

Moccasin, here's a view going the other direction - my Sum & Substance is also 4 years old. Both Earth Angel & S&S are holding their own under the maple.

Wendy

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:46PM
hostahillbilly(4)

several other earth angels posted here have been whispering to mine, "psssst, see if you give us our own spot we can get bigger, tell hillbilly to find us a bed of our own".

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:58PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Wendy, my S&S is now back in the ground, and I cannot wait to see what happens next spring. It came to me in my first ever hosta order from PDN in NC back in May 2010. So, perhaps it will leap like yours next year. Fingers crossed, that spending time in a pot ( from Sept 2011 to August 2013) did not set him back that much.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:43AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Earth Angel has grown well here. One of my favorite hosta. It would do a lot better if it weren't clipped and stomped by the clumsy gardener (me). I must enlarge the bed to give her some room.

Below at four years:

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:36AM
don_in_colorado

Well, I just got mine in the spring. It was doing terribly where I sited it; Dropping leaves and looking like it was dying. I've moved it twice since then, and starting about 6 weeks ago, it's done a 180 and is standing up straighter and producing new leaves. Looks very promising.

I'm hopeful it'll come up next spring still happy in it's current spot.

Don't give up Bernd; You obviously are a good grower of hostas, and know what you're doing. You know how they are at times. I bet you'll have at least 1 or 2 happy, thriving 'Earth Angel' plants next spring.

Cheers,
Don B.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
need help for my yard
I need ideas for this boring yard. Southeast PA, West...
carol0512
Shiny-leaved Hosta
I am SOOO bored watching snow melt! Not fast enough...although...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Advice for a Newbie Hosta Gardener
This past fall I planted four Blue Angel hostas on...
samnsarah
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™