Flowering dogwood problem

farah(8 WA)May 10, 2014

Hi,

My flowering dogwood has some branch dieback and has not flowered fully this spring. The lower branches have no leaves or flowers. The upper half still seems to be doing okay. Could this be dogwood anthracnose? Any help/tips would be appreciated.

I have added a link with more pics.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantknitter(8)

Wow!
Maybe it had anthracnose, but it sure looks like more is going on than that.
How long has all that mulch been there? It looks like it is up way high on the trunk, it is too thick over the root area, and looks very soggy.
Not sure if that would cause all the bark to die and peel off, but that is certainly not a good sign.
Do you have deer or other critters that would peel off the bark?
A late severe freeze?
And was that lower branch recently cut off? It looks to be pruned way too deep into the trunk past the branch collar--that won't help the tree any, either.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:01AM
farah(8 WA)

Thanks for your response. There is some compost at the base but it is not high at all. I think the angle in the photo makes it look like it is high when in fact it is not. However, I can certainly remove it if you think that will help.

There are no deer here. There was moss in many areas and so I pulled some of that off. Below the moss I saw a couple of what looked like tiny slugs almost 2 to 3 feet up the base of the tree. Could they have been damaging the bark? We have had a very rainy winter so maybe that did not help either.

The branch was taken off a few years ago. The tree has been in full bloom every year up until now.

Thanks.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:48AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The bark falling off looks normal to me. Show the die-back and defoliation instead, that is where the problems are.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:20AM
plantknitter(8)

Re: "bark falling off looks normal..."

really? on a dogwood?

I'm amazed.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:19AM
gardengal48

Flowering dogwoods are known for their exfoliating bark, some species much more than others but most present this feature.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 5:24PM
shadrock

My dogwood was planted late in the season (early july)...it is wilting and looks pretty sad im hoping i can revitlize. It has been hot and dry . The soil is clay but i did amend. I am hoping someone has some advice. Please. I have not mulched.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:35AM
shadrock

My dogwood was planted late in the season (early july)...it is wilting and looks pretty sad im hoping i can revitlize. It has been hot and dry . The soil is clay but i did amend. I am hoping someone has some advice. Please. I have not mulched.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:36AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Amending of planting holes often produces watering issues due to differences in texture between the amended soil inside the hole and the unchanged soil around the hole. Poke around inside the hole to see if it is dried out - or instead collecting water.

Also, top of tree looks thin as though it came from a shaded environment - you may be getting some leaf damage due to a sudden increase in light (and maybe wind) exposure during one of the most challenging months of the year.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:19PM
shadrock

Thank you for responding i am going to dig next to the hole and see whats doin wet or dry wise.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 5:37PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Yes bboy, it looks as if it has been under shade cloth or lath. Looks good there when it's for sale, but the leaves don't take to the great outdoors well,....even with adequate water. The new leaves will be OK though.
Mike

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
charleney
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™