Anyone Ever Try Red Plastic Around Tomato plants?

mike50(z7)May 8, 2011

Local Seattle gardening expert, Cisco, suggested, in light of our cool summer last year, try putting a type of sock over your tomato cages to retain heat and repel rain (top of sock is tied off). I believe the material was a type of red opaque plastic that comes in a roll, to be cut as heighth of tomato/cage dictates. Available at Territorial Seed, I think although I wasn't able to find it on their website. He also mentioned the "water wall", any opinions with either product? THANKS.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tastytravels(8)

Hi mike50. I'm also wondering if red vs. black plastics make a big difference in growing tomatoes. I've used WOWs last year and this year. Last year it allowed me to plant out tomatoes in Portland, Oregon late April. I was harvesting tomatoes a few weeks before my friends. I think it really works. If you have extra 1 liter soda bottles, there's stuff on the internet about making your own. I plant tomatoes in pots so that wasn't an option (and I don't drink that much soda!). I planted my tomatoes out last week and so far they're surviving!

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

He says in the segment that was broadcast water collects in the top of the red "greenhouse" and pulls the sides up unless it is secured at the bottom with rocks. Apart from that, I say I would not want to look at bright red towers out in my yard.

Friends near here grow them in plastic tunnels.

They also grow - and ripen - melons by using plastic tunnels.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™