Soil Testing

bluewillow09(8)May 20, 2013

Where does one get a reliable soil test? How long does it take? How much does it cost?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluewillow09(8)

Nobody?
I tried looking online but came up with nothing but broken links.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:34PM
gardengal48

There are various private soil labs that do testing - the cooperative extension service no longer offers this service. The attached link is a database from WSU of various soil/water testing labs.

Prices and procedures will vary, as will the types of testing offered.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU soil lab database

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:57PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Although a comprehensive soil test can be useful, but in most cases all you need to know is the pH. This is the measure of soil acidity or alkalinity. Acidic being sour, alkaline being sweet. Most garden veggies thrive at pH range of 5.9 to 7.2 (7 bing nutral. and higher is sweet).

To test pH, you can get a simple device (ferry morse, from HD) or get a test kit and test your garden soil's pH ,by following the instruction. This might not be as accurate as a lab test BUT it can give a prety good idea as where you stand. A (+) or (-)0.2 or even slightly more, is not going to be that critical. Because, it has been established that most plants can thrive within a RANGE of pH , not an EXACT level of it. Although some prefer slightly acid and some like slightly alkaline soil.

In Western Washington, generaly, all soils are acidic because the source of native soil is not calcium. Calcium make the soil sweet. plus, the continued rain leach positive ions , making the soil more acidic. That is why they apply gypsum, lime..that contain calcium to reduce acidity.

The thing with regular lime sold for this purpos, is tha it taks months before it actuall can reduce acidity(raise pH). Fast acting limes are somehow better but cost more.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 5:03AM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

Super Sweet Lime says it's fast acting so that's the way to go?

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:41PM
gardengal48

The vast majority of plants prefer slightly to moderately acidic soils - like we have throughout the NW on the western side of the Cascades. In most cases, supported by the WA extension service, liming your soils is not necessary. In fact, increasing or bumping up the acidity is sometimes desireable.

A baseline soil test is always a good practice, just to let you know what you are starting out with before any amending happens. And this is especially true for vegetables or annual crops that have rather significant nutrient demands as well as pull a lot of nutrients from the soil.

FWIW, gypsum has no measurable effect on soil pH.

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of gypsum

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Need help with identifying the greens in my garden.
Hi I moved to a house in Washington state and i found...
wonryu132
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™