Need a recommendation for a shrub

bluewillow09(8)May 11, 2013

I want to plant about a 9' row of small shrubs (about 3' high and wide) with fine-textured leaves as a foundation planting along the west side of my house. It gets about 4 hours of direct sun at the hottest part of the day.

Either something that stays dense or something that would look nice trimmed as a hedge.

The soil is heavy clay. It will get watered regularly. Disease resistant would be good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You could look at boxwood or Japanese holly. Easy, very adaptable annd slow growing enough that pruning requirements are minimal. And neither one is particularly tasty to deer.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 2:21PM
OregonGrape

I tend to recommend native plants but, in terms of functionality, I'd recommend boxwood. I have a row of these in my front yard, in shade/partial shade, heavy clay, and they get twice-a-week watering from the sprinklers. They need a minor haircut every spring, but are otherwise as easy as pie and they look great. I keep mine in the 1-2' height range, but they'd probably get to 3' if I'd let them.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 4:36PM
may_flowers

Dwarf nandina 'Gulf Stream'.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 5:06PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Both box and Japanese holly are prone to root rot. So, you might see problems with those on damp clay - it is typical for broad-leaved evergreens in general to need better aeration and drainage than various deciduous shrubs may tolerate - nandina my not like your ground either. And these days, there is a lot of mildew and leaf spot on it in this area.

Your screen name may actually point to a possible candidate: Salix purpurea 'Nana'.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:50AM
goofyisgreen(Z8 PacNW)

Perhaps one of the well-behaved viburnums? I replaced an out-of-control laurel hedge in full sun last year with an evergreen viburnum (name escapes me, glossy evergreen leaves, just finished flowering-white & beautiful, blue berries in summer, tiny red seed pods arrive in late fall & stick around all winter). Really an impressive plant, 7 of 7 plants survived 1st year last summer (remember summer drought) and seems to grow maybe 6-12 inches a year, easily trimmed.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:46AM
may_flowers

Viburnum davidii? I had trouble with the leaves yellowing, spotting, and falling off.

I have Gulf Stream and haven't had any problems with it. But I'm in Oregon and we have better weather than Washington. ;)

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:27PM
ian_wa(Sequim)

I'd vote for Hebe buxifolia or H. odora. Leptospermum grandiflorum would be fun as a clipped hedge.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:34PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Hebe or Leptospermum in damp clay?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

...first documented in the Pacific Northwest in 2000 occurring on several diseased plants in western Washington. The pathogen has been found in Oregon and California

Here is a link that might be useful: PNW Plant Disease Handbook - Nandina Mildew

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, May 13, 13 at 16:02

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
charleney
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
How to repair slippery grass path?
Along the side of our house, in the shade, is a strip...
geoffhazel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™