Cornus kousa 'Samzam' (Samaritan)

ejr2005(Eastern MA)June 19, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? We're thinking about it for a tree in the front of our house.

Ego - you mentioned you had two in a thread from last year and that it "could be used as a tall variegated background foliage plant." Do you think it wouldn't be a good foreground specimen plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ego45(6bCT)

Problem with 'Samaritan' and other white-variegated kousas is that at the time of bloom white bracts that making it so attractive, got lost among foliage. Also, if lit by direct sun and viewed from the distance, 'Samaritan' in particular looks like not a variegated, but rather gray-greenish plant, while in a part shade its variegation always stands out. I'm not saying that in open sunny position variegation dissapears, it's not, but it just visually not that prominent from the distance.
I do think it might be a nice foreground tree against dark green, preferably evergreen, background. But as a solitary-specimen tree planted in the open, no. Just IMO.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejr2005(Eastern MA)

Thanks ego - that's the info I was looking for. Our front is pretty shady, but the house is a lighter background, not dark.

I'm going to post pics of the house on another thread. I'm usually pretty decisive about what to plant, but I'm having a really hard time with this.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #5
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™