Colorful Perennials

bohochickJune 6, 2013

My garden consists of mostly blue and purple flowers. These are my favorite colors for flowers, but I want a couple other bright colored flowers in the mix too. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you want soft yellow in summer Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' is nice. What seasons and exposures are you planning for? What soil conditions?

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 1:30PM
bohochick

This spot gets afternoon shade and has clay soil. I think I am mainly going for summer blooms, maybe early fall. Too much later and I tend to not go outside much because of the rain. I never thought of soft yellow, I think that would be really pretty against the dark purples of my Columbine and Canterbury Bells.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:25AM
bohochick

I love Peonies, but I'm afraid they wont bloom because it doesn't get very cold normally.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:41AM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

Where are you? I have several peony and they all bloom, I'm in a suburb of Tacoma WA.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:15AM
bohochick

Oregon, a little town in the Valley. About two hours from the mountains, two hours from the ocean, and around an hour from Portland. This last winter all we got cold enough for was a week of freezing fog. But if I've got hope, I'd love to try them.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:25AM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

I'm no expert in peony but have read they take time, x # of years, after planted before they bloom. This matches my experience, my recollection is 2-3 years until they bloomed, I think some bloomed after 2 years and others took 3 years. I'm not sure if this is typical. I also have read make sure they are planted at the soil level around them NOT below or they won't bloom.

They are fantastic flowers, very fragrant, I have some pink ones I took cuttings from that are in the house and I think the blooms are about 10" diameter, no joke, just fantastic.

I haven't had any pest problems with them either (e.g., slugs) so big thumbs up for them.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:29AM
bohochick

Thank you for the awesome advice. Finally some Peony hope! :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:41AM
bohochick

Thank you for the awesome advice. Finally some Peony hope! :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:42AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I did a landscape once where all the blossom colors were red and purple with just a dash of yellow. The customers were very happy.
Have you thought about tree Peonies? Here's one of mine just now blooming.
Mike

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:27AM

Peonies are very common in PNW outlets and gardens. But these are sun plants, and they are not long-blooming - a lot of space is taken up by a plant that is in peak bloom for a comparatively short time. And the kinds with large, heavy, multi-petalled flowers often bend to the ground under the weight of them.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:57PM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

Re: Peony flopping over, very true, but simple solution, cheap green wire supports (round circle with stakes into ground) cheap and available at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. work perfectly for Peony.

As far as short blooming, I see the same with many other flowers but as huge as the blooms are and the fragrance to me it's totally worth it.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:37PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I cut them off with a short stem as they bloom and put them in a small bowl of water on the dinner table. My wife loves it.
Mike

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 6:04PM

I was responding to

>This spot gets afternoon shade and has clay soil. I think I am mainly going for summer blooms, maybe early fall

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 6:54PM
bohochick

So would tree peonies take care of the flopping problem most peonies have? That picture is gorgeous.

Any thoughts on Dahlias? If I wanted to invest in some peonies the size of the plant would be a problem unless I wanted to take out grass.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:05PM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

The thin metal supports (round at top with stakes into ground) I think is 18" diameter max and it fits my peonies perfectly so not sure how much space you have but mine which are mature don't take up more than about 18" diameter due to using the metal supports. I haven't grown tree peony so I don't know how big they get.

Dahlias definitely need sun and unless they're dwarf varieties they need a support stake but don't get very wide, at least the varieties I grow. I'm a big fan of both Dahlias and Peonies. I do have to bait for slugs though with Dahlias, they love them as well.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:11PM
bohochick

Ok, that's good to know! Slugs are definitely a PNW problem.
What are your favorite colors and varieties of peonies and Dahlias? Are there hardier varieties I can try, or certain ones that do better in your garden?

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:19PM
gardenrescue2012(PNW USDA 8a, Sunset 4)

Upright fuchsias like part shade, come in bright reds to soft pinks and white. Astilbes come in pinks, white, red, maybe more.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 8:33PM
bohochick

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely look into the fuchsias.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 12:39AM
noinwi

Gaillardia, Blanket Flower really pops next to purple or blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaillardia images

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Good Cover Crop... Now What?
We have had a mild winter here in the PNW and the cover...
lonmower
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Silk Tassel: where to buy?
I saw one of these in Seattle a while back and, now...
clevelje
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Sponsored Products
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted Double Door 24W x 34H in. Surface Mount Medi
Hayneedle
Nuevo Living Estelle -19 Pendant Lamp
ModernistLighting.com
Darya Rugs Khotan, Lime, 8'0" x 9'7" M1783-150
Darya Rugs
Details in Bloom Area Rug
$333.99 | Dot & Bo
Secret Baby Blue Wallpaper R1315, double roll
Walls Republic
Palermo Backed Outdoor Bar Stool Cushion, Patio Furniture
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Multi Cushion
Fifthroom.com
Hand-tufted Moroccan Pattern Wool Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™