Have you seen this vine before?

bluesunflower(WA 7)June 8, 2009

Can anyone help identify this vine? I live about 30 min. east of Seattle on a mountain about 1,000ft up. This vine is growing in what would be considered a wild location. The property lots are large, with 6 acres being the smallest, so neighbors are an unlikely source. It is growing up a fir tree at the edge of old growth forest. It would have a north-west exposure.

Ok, that should be way more information than anyone wanted. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is?

Oh, and the flowers do not have a scent so far. No one was brave enough to taste it though, even on a double dog dare. ;-)

Thank you for any help you can give.

P.S. I have posted this in the "name that plant" forum but thought you all might have seen it before since this is our region.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Aw, this looks like the latest plant on my wish list, Lonicera sempervirens, a native honeysuckle. It is not as red as most of the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera sempervirens

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 6:41AM
gardengal48

It's Lonicera ciliosa, Western Trumpet or Orange Honeysuckle. Although Lonicera sempervirens is a native to the US, it is not native to this area. L. ciliosa differs from sempervirens in that it is fully deciduous, has orange flowers and slightly hairy leaves and petioles. It has no discernible scent and is pollinated almost exclusively by rufous hummingbirds.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 9:21AM
bluesunflower(WA 7)

Hemnancy thank you for the link. I consider myself lucky to have a plant in the wild that you have on your wish list.
Gardengal48 I think you are correct that it is L. Ciliosa. I checked it out and that matches it. To bad there is no scent with it but that definately helps with the hummers. This vine is just below my front garden so it puts the hummers right on the path to my feeders.
Yea!

Thank you both very much for the help. Another plant ID'd millions more to go. ;-)

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:38PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Yeah, sempervirens is redder, the orange didn't fit. I want one for the hummer that flits around my yard.:-) Lucky you.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 4:36PM
dawiff(z7 WA)

Bluesunflower, Lucky, lucky you! I've wanted a native honeysuckle forever! So do you have lots of hummingbirds visiting it? I wonder if you can save seeds from it?

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 1:48AM
JudyWWW(z7/WA)

I am always surprised when this vine appears in my woods each summer. I agree that it is very special.
If you want to purchase it you can find it at Nothing But Northwest Natives: http://www.nothingbutnwnatives.com

Judy W

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 2:43AM
More Discussions
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™