Where to plant Abutilon?

bluephoenixxJune 13, 2010

Howdy,

I'm a super newbie gardener in San Francisco. I really have no idea what I'm doing - it's all trial and error at this point. I created a raised bed in my sandy yard and planted a bunch of stuff I just happened to like. Recently I bought an Abutilon and read that it likes morning sun and afternoon shade. My problem is there is only one small corner of my raised bed that fits those conditions and I already have a very happy Phormium taking up most of that space. I could probably inch the Phormium back a tiny bit but would the Abutilon still be too crowded in there? I could probably also move the raise bed out further into the yard but I was hoping to create more hardscape there instead (cat probably won't like that much). Can I move it to a large container and place outside of the bed? I read that Abutilons are not always happy in containers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Move the phormium, which will get much bigger and would probably just as soon be in full light anyway.

The flowering maple can be trained flat onto the fence, rather than allowed to bulge out over the other plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 4:31PM
gardengal48

btw, abutilons grow beautifully in containers. In fact, in areas where the vast majority of them are not fully hardy - like here in the PNW - most of them are grown as seasonal container plants and/or houseplants. I've grown various species and hybrids in containers for many years. It is at least an option to consider if garden space is at a premium.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:48AM
bluephoenixx

Thanks for the responses! I think I will try to keep the Abutilon in a container and move it outside of the bed - out near where the cat is sleeping. Then I'll inch the Phormium up more into the sun. Now I'll have to find something that likes shade that can be seen behind the phormium - or just have a big dead space back there... Gardening is quite fun but challenging.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Healthy old-fashioned roses in white and buff/copper?
I've got two particular spots where I'd like to install...
nonconformist_nymphette
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™