Climbing roses Westerland or Polka or Royal Sunset

hollie_z9(z9Santa Cruz CA)June 29, 2013

I live right on the beach in Santa Cruz, CA where it is moist, cool and often foggy...but not always. So I thought this Northwest forum might have similar weather.

I can only fit one climber in the sun for a pillar and have narrowed down the color to these three roses: Royal Sunset, Polka or Westerland.

It's hard to tell from the photos which of these is brighter orange than the others.

I'd like a bloom machine if possible, constantly in bloom. And it will be a pillar style in a house corner. I don't think our sunshine will fade the flowers much, roses here tend to "pink out" if anything.

Looking for disease resistance and fewer nasty thorns would be nice. There will be some salt spray onto this bush.

If any of you have seen or own these roses and can compare, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Try the 'Westerland'.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 1:57PM
hollie_z9(z9Santa Cruz CA)

Thanks bboy, Westerland looks like it is more orange than the others?

I like orange as long as it's not really neon-ish.

Hollie

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:25PM
GGardens(8)

I just planted a Westerland Apricot climbing rose this spring. It gets about 2 hrs dappled sunlight and 4 hrs of late afternoon sun. The buds are quite orange and then open to a pinkish color mixed with yellow centers--it's a slightly darker version of my Joseph's Coat with the same conditions. I'm vey pleased with it. I'd post a picture but have not figured out how to do that with my camera.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™