shrubs/bushes to plant along a fence????

fraservalleyJune 21, 2006

We are putting up a split rail fence between our yard and our neighbours. I'm not sure of what type of shrubs/bushes would be best to plant. The fence will be @ 40' long. I want plants that will compliment the fence not hide it, maybe something in a natural state(not pruned)loosely planted. Some privacy would be good with a maximum height of 6' and minimum of @ 4'. We want to be able to see the fence in between the plants, sort of a natural type of setting. Probably a mix of evergreen and deciduous. Overall we are going with a front yard that has a natural feel to it with artificial stone over the concrete wallof the house, some arrangement of large rocks, and a corner fence made of split rail, flagstone walkway/patio etc. Plants along the fence will be in full sun most of the day. Does anyone have any Ideas?? One more thing, our neighbour has small children so poisonous berries is something that I want to stay away from.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:everett-reader

I think a rambling pink rose over a split wood fence is just gorgeous. That won't give you the privacy you are looking for though.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 1:08PM
trolley_molly

Ideally I'd think you want a variety of shrubs, evergreen and deciduous, rather than a row of one thing. You can plant perennials in between to give you a bit more privacy during the summer. A rambling rose would be nice. Red-twig dogwood (I like the one with the variegated leaf), yellow-twig dogwood, shrub roses, all kinds of vibernum, hydrangeas, azaleas (The species azaleas have a particularly nice open form), spireas, choysias. . . Underplant with hostas and interesting ground covers. With a little planning you can have something in bloom or displaying berries or colored foliage pretty much all year 'round.
If you want to go with native plants consider Oregon grape (the berries are edible), flowering currant (ditto), mock orange, Nootka rose, salal, high bush cranberry, native rhodies, spirea densiflora, evergreen huckleberries.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 9:03PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

What kind of soil conditions, exposure, climate regime?

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 9:05PM
scarlettmx5(z8 WA Smky Pt)

How wide would the bed along the fence be? Would a camellia work? I like my variegated leaf Red Twig Dogwood (like trolley molly), but it gets wide in a hurry. My "Winter Flame" dogwood grew quickly, too. Another favorite is Barberry, but the kind I have has thorns (don't know if all of them do). Of course, it all depends on the things bboy mentioned: soil conditions, exposure, climate regime.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 10:52AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

To me, split rail fences cry out for climbing roses. They bloom for so long and so gloriously that you need a few in the row for sure. I would definately plant some taller shrubs and mix evergreens and deciduous shrubs and perennials in too.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™