How long for raspberries?

ellen_portland(z8 OR)June 8, 2008

We have a large patch of raspberries in our yard. I've never watched them "ripen" and I know things will be late this year from the cold?

My sister is coming for a visit with her boys on the 25th- which we had huge bowl-fulls by then last year, all we've got is the white buds which are just starting to look like hints of white raspberries.

What do you think?? If not are there places around they can go berry picking that you would recommend? My son is 8 and his cousins are 10 and 12.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Not sure what white buds/raspberries are. If the bloom buds that will show white just before opening are starting, you are still a long way from ripe raspberries. A beginning raspberry will be tiny, green, and look just like a raspberry.

The 2008 Farm Fresh Produce Guide is useful for the Portland area.
this links to raspberry sources

It could be a tricky year. Last year was fine, but in 2006 we were picking at Hartnell's on July 4th, trying to avoid moldy berries.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 11:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emcalister1(7)

My raspberries are tiny, green and very unedible. If yours are white, then yours are probably just a stage earlier than mine. We're in a La Nina weather pattern, which means cooler than normal temperatures up until October. I'm tacking on an extra 3-4 weeks on my harvesting timelines.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Trying to find Oregon Grape for sale
I am trying to find Oregon Grape - the compacta variety,...
garrai818
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
Seattle Area -- Where to buy Kristin's Blush
Hi. The wife of a dear friend recently passed away...
blameitontherain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™