Re: trees that bloom later in summer.

plantknitter(8)June 24, 2010

Re:"Seattle would benefit by more trees that bloom later in summer."

So what are some suggestions?

We need to take out a nasty huge 'Kwanzan' Cherry between our driveway and the neighbor's driveway.

I'm also wondering what everyone considers the best/most interesting/must have Hydrangea.

I have a woodland spot where a red huckleberry died out that I thought would work for one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

I like the lacecap hydrangeas, myself (link below).

I always have to smile when I hear someone say that more trees need to flower in late summer/fall.

The purpose of flowering is to produce seed. They usually flower in spring so that seed has the time to grow to maturity. There may be some trees that flower in late summer, but their seed probably doesn't ripen until the next year.

Trees do what they do for themselves, they don't care what we think.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacecap hydrangeas

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:12PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

What about the Sourwood Tree? Oxydendrum arboreum.
I have two. One is doing just fine. The other has been growing rather slow for years. I may move it after the leaves drop this Fall.

As far as Hydrangeas go, 'Weiderspink' is my favorite.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:33PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Followup is on same site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Trees that merit planting in Seattle by Arthur Lee Jacobson

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 2:14PM
gardengal48

There are a few.......:-) And if you add in those shrubs that have tree-like proportions or habits, that number increases.

Sourwood, Oxydendron arboreum, is an excellent example. I'd add to that Stewartia, Albizia, Magnolia grandiflora, Chionanthus, Koelreuteria paniculata, Tilia tomentosa. More shrubby examples are elderberries, Heptacodium, Buddleja, tree-form hydranges or Rose of Sharon, Eucryphia, Aesculus parviflora, smokebush and chaste tree, Vitex agnus-castus.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 2:45PM
larry_gene

Thanks for mentioning Eucryphia. My one threadbare-in-the-upper-regions because of two consecutive tough winters has leafed out acceptably and all the others are in fine form.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 11:44PM
brody(z7 WA)

Oxydendron and Stewartia are both great but they want lots of moisture and the former is intolerant of heavy soils. Another idea is Hoheria, either Hoheria glabrata or H. populnea, both blooming in summer and nice all around trees.

As for Hydrangeas, there are a lot to choose from but something important to consider is size. A plant like 'Beaute Vendomoise' can top out at over 6 feet while 'Lanarth White' might be half that. Other than that it's just a matter of looking at the pictures and picking what you like best.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™