Nice combination

jarih(4 in Finland)September 9, 2012

I took some pictures today. We might have first night frost tomorrow. If all goes like normally we could have a month or two before frosty nights.

I ordered Jan van den Top some hostas - shipping day is also tomorrow. It will be a long week to wait - Bridal Falls is one of them I wait most.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a

Those are the best looking September hosta I've seen. You've taken immaculate care of your hosta!

Care to tell us the hosta we are seeing?

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 1:28PM
jarih(4 in Finland)

Thank you lykaon. It's dark here now and I don't remember all, but there is: Stitch in Time, Woop Woop, Wolverine, small Red October, Touch of Class, Marrakesh and something else..

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 1:39PM
mary52zn8tx

Nice garden! Frost already sounds nice to me. We had 105 (40.56 C) day before yesterday. My garden is fried, and I am just about fried, too. I am ready for some cool fall weather.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 5:48PM
bernd ny zone5

You have very nice hostas, thanks for showing!
I once looked it up, and here in zone 5 our climate was similar to St.Petersburg in Russia which is just across the Baltic Sea from Finland. We usually had our first frost on September 16, last years the end of October. But last night was in the mid 40s and leaves are falling. And in 3 1/2 months is Xmas.
Bernd

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:08AM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Those are great looking hostas in an immaculately kept hosta bed. Good luck with your new hosta acquisitions from Jan van den Top. I still have to get some hostas into the ground too before it freezes.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:19AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Ohhh, I KNEW that was Stitch In Time....and Touch of Class.
(getting better at this stuff)

Right-o, you keep immaculate hosta. Love the dark mulch. Did you ever tell us what you use? It almost looks like volcanic rock.

Good luck with your new arrivals.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:47PM
uk-hostaman

I get alot of my hostas from jan and have been extremly happy with all of them...please post pictures of Bridal Falls as i am thinking of getting that one next season....Loving your hostas..UK

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:17AM
swed_hosta(6a)

jarih, your hostas look great! Nice to see another Scandinavian member on the forum. And, people, you are such enablers! Right now I'm assembling an order from Jan's HostaWorld and after this post I definitely have to add Bridal Falls on my order list.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 5:03AM
hostaLes(5)

I am absolutely thrilled hearing from hosta-lovers from your side of the ocean and personally would like to hear from you more often. Several years ago I had the honor of having a stepson in the GAP (German American Participation) program. We had a fine young man from Germany live with us for a month before sending our son to his home for a month in Germany. It was truely an eye-opening experience, in a very positive way. He was overwhelmed by how much SPACE we enjoy here in America. The GAP group had taken a DAY trip by bus to New Orleans and crossed only one state-line between Arkansas and Louisiana. He told me a trip from his house that distance would carry him across as many as 4 International Borders. I had never realized that.
We had a birthday party on the White River at Bull Shoals State Park and I had caught some Rainbow Trout which he had shown interest in. I offered him my rod to take a turn. He had no license (I did) and he wouldn't even think of touching the fishing rod without one.
No matter how hard I'd tried to convince him Charley Jones, our local warden, would give him a pass he felt it would be disrespectful to others who had worked so hard for their fishing licenses. In Germany it appeared, it was considered an honor and privilege, not a right, to be licensed to fish.

I can't believe how perfect your hostas look Jarih. I am very proud for you. Your garden is priceless!

Les

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:14AM
dougald_gw

Great looking hostas and a well tended to garden!

Here in the Ottawa Valley we generally get frost early September and some areas did get touched with first frost last sunday night. The southern part of the valley especially near the rivers (Ottawa and Rideau) tends to fight off the first frost for a week or two longer.

It just doesn't get real hot here - we complain bitterly of the heat if the temps get even close to 90F. My hosta gardens are irrigated daily by pumping river water and are fairly well shaded. And yes, most of the hostas still look fresh and healthy. After reading this forum all summer it seems that I am pretty lucky to have such great hosta growing conditions similar it seems to what our friends in Finland have.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 8:39AM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

jarih, beautifully kept hosta bed and such a nice collection! Looking forward to pics of your new arrivals.

Like moccasinlanding, I'm curious about the mulch too. I've been thinking that lava rock might detour snails...if so, it would be worth the investment for under my pots.

Les, I loved the story about the German lad and his visit.

Deb

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:37AM
jarih(4 in Finland)

Thanks for looking and comments. I have put mulch from sack, it's name in Finnish is "Musta Multa" = "Black Mulch". It consist: peat, composed pine bark, sand and little clay. It is totally natural product and very good for hostas but unfortunately as well for weeds. This mulch don't have seeds or weeds but still there is weeds to pull up every third day. I try to pick them up before getting half inch high.
Yes, I promise to put pictures here after I have got them from Jan. Maybe on Friday.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 9:57AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

HostaLes said it very well.

So good to have European input here. It emphasizes the international nature of hosta and gardening in general. Plus, it brings a new point of view to the party! I suppose hostaholics are the same the world over. :)

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:14AM
hostahillbilly(4)

Jarih,

thank you for sharing this nice looking picture !

I will bet you won't be able to see that mulch in another few years.

then the weeds will be no problem at all.

I hope you didn't get the frost.

I am looking forward to more nice pictures.

Hh

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:00AM
jarih(4 in Finland)

No Frost so far -:)This is summer, same bench.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:19AM

The staggered effect of taller in the back & shorter in the front is very nice!
Now I'm curious, what is the hosta at the 1:30 position with narrow wavy leaves and red stems?

Deb

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:21PM
jarih(4 in Finland)

I quess you (Deb) mean Marrakesh. It is bright yellow in summer.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:02PM
almosthooked

Hyaa huomenta Jarih
Your hosta are just beautiful and thank you for posting pictures. The Marrakesh is fabulous and so showing .Not sure why there has to be weeds but it seems inevitable.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:57PM

Marrakesh, Oooh purdy, I love it!

Deb

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 2:47PM
jarih(4 in Finland)

Hyv�� huomenta almoshooked. It's not very common to see Finnish language here. I just woke up and soon will go to work. I'll wait message about a package - hostas from Holland.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 12:19AM
jarih(4 in Finland)

The first word is Hyv.. and two a with dots. :)

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
Private email to a poster
Now you CAN privately e-mail a poster...as I just now...
Babka NorCal 9b
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
Hosta Smart Phone App
I think I have my hubby convinced to write me a smart...
thisismelissa
Sponsored Products
Illumine Posts 1-Light Outdoor Green Warehouse Shade Post Light CLI-491
Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Wild Camel 2 ft.
Home Depot
27183 Wall Control by Hunter Fans
$39.60 | Lumens
Kraus Illusio KEF-14700 Vessel Sink Faucet - KEF-14700CH
$209.95 | Hayneedle
James Martin Furniture Continental 48 in. Single Vanity - Burnished Cherry Multi
Hayneedle
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting Pro-Series 30 in. Xenon Brushed Silver Under
Home Depot
Elk Lighting Danica 46024/1 1 Light Mini Pendant - 46024/1
$126.00 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Jill Rosenwald Sand 3' 6" x 5' 6" Flatweave
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™