Who Wins "Best Lookin" for September 20th?

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaSeptember 20, 2013

Its getting late in the hosta season here. As I was transplanting some of my crowded plants yesterday, I just couldn't help noticing how well Paul's Glory has held up over a long season.

Who has staying power in your garden?

Paul's Glory

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostahillbilly(4)

this is Janet's favorite time of year , the second flush down in the middle shows what color is earlier in the year

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:47PM
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Brother Stefan has gotten better and better as the season has progressed. I think it has good staying power! In the background you see Atlantis (left side) and my NOID. I think Atlantis may be good too.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:55PM

And here is a leaf shot also taken today. Most marks on the leaves are from hail we had a month ago.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 5:00PM
flower-frenzy(8a)

Wow, newhostalady, you're 'Brother Stefan' is gorgeous! I can't wait for mine to grow up.

I have 'Paul's Glory' and 'Brother Stefan' and agree that they both look really good until frost.

For me, it's a tie. While most of my hosta still look pretty good, there were 2 that stood out as best. This first one is 'Lakeside Cupcake'. Still immature yet, but growing like gangbusters and looking good.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 7:44PM
flower-frenzy(8a)

The other hosta I really like towards the end of summer is 'Paradise Joyce'. When she comes up in spring, she's pretty much a 'June' lookalike. However, as the summer progresses, the center of the leaves glow yellowish white and distinguish her from all others.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 7:47PM
don_in_colorado

'Silver Bay' has held it's blue very impressively, despite a lot of overhead watering, and a bit of afternoon sunshine. It's also shown no signs of beginning dormancy.

Don B.

P.S.: If you love blue hostas, and you don't have 'Silver Bay' yet, put it near the top of next spring's 'Get It' list. And don't judge by my plant, look at a mature one and see what it'll be. I'm here to help.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 10:00PM
flower-frenzy(8a)

Don, I looked up 'Silver Bay' and it is gorgeous! *Sigh* Is my wish list EVER going to get smaller? I keep buying more hostas, yet my list keeps getting longer...how does that happen?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 10:47PM

I think Earth Angel is holding up very well also. How could you not love those leaves!

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:25PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I agree, your Earth Angel is gorgeous.
Wish I had taken the time to clean the leaves on some of mine. The sweetgum trees and pecans are beginning to drop leaves, and gee they can penetrate the hosta quickly.

My tablet doesn't take as fine a color or high megapixel as my Nikon digital, but I used it most recently and haven't removed photos from the Nikon yet. However, I'd say that
Paradigm is looking super fine.

Yesterday's Memories on 9/18/13 late in the afternoon.

Faithful Heart....it has that teeny narrow green margin, and look how gold it is! Love this as part of my "heart set."

Tiajuana Brass looking mature isn't he? Got him this summer from Jim Hartmann....he thought I'd like him, and I sure do.

Squash Casserole....this has looked GOOD from the first of spring. And it continues, in the same location, to have perfect leaves. I'm afraid to touch it!

Lakeside Lollipop....can't turn down this one with its rough texture and blue green look. A really sweet hosta.

I'm leaving off Mama plantaginea, my favorite hosta of all time. You've seen her and her clones before. :)

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™