lettuce won't grow

mclaughlindw4June 3, 2008

Every year my lettuce won't grow. It doesn't die but it doesn't grow either. My garden is in mid-coast maine. I get about 5 hours of direct sunlight a day and have given them compost and fertilizer (10-10-10) + blood meal and some potash. The pH is low (5.5) I've been trying to bring it up but it is happening slowly. Maybe this is the problem? Other things grow well such as tomatoes, radishes, beans, cucumbers,etc. But never any luck with the lettuce. I also water it often so it is not lack of water. Any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barefootinct(6a)

Number one, be sure your soil is loose enough. Second, lettuce likes water but doesn't like soggy soil...so don't over water and make sure your soil drains well. Be sure that you thin your lettuce to give them plenty of room. Finally, try growing a variety of lettuce to see if a certain kind does well in your garden.

Yum, fresh lettuce!

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 5:43PM
barefootinct(6a)

If lettuce is just not happy in your garden, try growing it in a window box with potting soil. The potting soil is so light and fluffy that lettuce seems to be very happy in it. My mother has grown her lettuce exclusively this way for years. She doesn't let the lettuce get very big, rather, she snips a whole section of baby leaves for salads each day. That section grows back soon enough. A couple of window boxes full of lettuce seeds keeps her supplied in fresh lettuce all summer long. The other plus with the window box is being able to move it to cooler areas when the summer gets hot.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 5:47PM
fbot(Z5b-Central MA)

I think it depends on where you grow it. I can never get lettuce or salad mixes to grow in my raised beds for some reason, but I can harvest all year round from my two large pots that are 4 feet away. I never thought about the potting soil, but that may be the reason why!

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:24AM
wolfy528(7)

I am having the same problem. I grow in raised beds with cinder block. The holes in my blocks have potting soil the beds themselves have more of a mel's mix. One bed is full sun and one is part sun. I have lettuce in both beds and in the holes and does not seem to make a difference. Everything is growing great except for my lettuce. I planted lettuce a month ago and they are still 1/2 inch to 1 tall. I however bought some butter crunch from Lowe's and surprise they are doing well. Having the same problem with Swiss chard, I finally have one taking off in a hole on the sunniest east side.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Starting PEAS
A few of my beds have thawed enough that I can work...
persimmons
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
Sponsored Products
Green Square & Round Ceramic Bakeware Set
$29.99 | zulily
Province Ceiling
Lightology
Ellsworth Round Tufted Ottoman - SKIRT
$899.00 | Horchow
Red Plunger, Toilet Brush, Waste Basket Set
| Dot & Bo
Rain Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$345.60 | Bellacor