UMass Extension Landscape Message June 15, 2012

claireplymouth z6b coastal MAJune 15, 2012

UMass Extension Landscape Message June 15, 2012

"Winter Moth caterpillars have pupated and the feeding damage for this year is over. Massachusetts DCR flew over the state on Monday (6/11/12) to delineate, photograph and map defoliated areas. All affected areas are now in the process of being ground-checked to determine the exact cause of damage and to record levels of defoliation. Winter moth is now in the soil as a pupa and will remain there until late November into December when they'll emerge as adults, mate and lay eggs. Be extremely thoughtful when digging and moving plants from areas of infestation and moving them to new locals, especially those area that does not yet have winter moth populations in order to prevent accidentally introducing this scourge into new areas."

I added the red color for emphasis.

Claire

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

I wish there was something we could do to the Ground right now. I'd be happy to use something similar to GrubX and spread it on my lawn if I knew it would kill off the pupa. Since my trees are easily 60' tall, there is no way I could spray them without calling a professional tree service.

I know the ground option would not work for all, but in theory it sounds like a perfect solution for individual homeowners.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™