is my wisteria dying?

kanita8June 14, 2014

Hi,

I am a new gardener. I bought a Japanese Wisteria and repotted it about 3 weeks ago (June, Seattle) into a larger container.

Immediately after repotting, the leaves started drying and turning yellow.

My local garden shop suggested I should use Superthrive. I've been using Superthrive for almost a week now and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Is saving it a lost cause? Any suggestions on what I can try to bring it back?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Looks like it got dried out at some point. Would be a lot easier to manage planted in the ground - except for the rampant growth these tend to produce once established.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:42PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You can only hope that's the case. They are horribly invasive garden thugs.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:58PM
larry_gene

If the plant had lots of roots showing when removed from the original pot, and the whole mass was plunked into a larger container of soil of somewhat different composition and density, any applied water may be coursing through the new soil and going down the sides of the pot. Try to poke around and see if the root area is getting damp.

And have a few weeks' more patience, such a large transplant is bound to complain for a while.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 11:27PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Was the plant growing inside when you purchased it? It looks as if it might be adjusting to outside sun and previous lack of water.
In any case, I doubt you will kill it. It will recover, and if in the ground, ....with a vengeance.
Mike

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 11:42AM
gardengal48

They are horribly invasive garden thugs.

They may be in Mississippi but not here......rampant growth, yes, but that's to be expected from a large vine. They do produce some root shoots when well established and happy but nothing like another vine or two I could name :-))

Not really a great choice of vine for growing in a container or at least for long term container growth. As mentioned, would be much happier in the ground. Just provide a very sturdy support system.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:39PM
kanita8

When I bought the plant it was outside in the nursery.

When I repotted, I didn't cover the holes in the pot and had no tray so I remember hearing the water drip down the deck. Maybe that's why it dried up.

I am going to give it a little more time as Larry suggested and if it doesn't improve, I'll put it in the ground. I was originally concerned about it getting out of control (even if in Seattle, didn't want to risk it) but sounds like a non-issue.

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™