what to grow in shade?

lannij(8)June 15, 2012

hello all. i am a rookie landscaper just learning how to populate our yard, which is a mixture of sun and shade just a little under .25 acres and terraced on a hillside. i'm trying to plant an edible/useable landscape (ex: lavendar and blueberries), but there is one blank spot that has me flummoxed.

it's a flat terrace (approx 25' north/south x 15' east/west) on the shady side of our yard. it's bordered on the east by tall cedars and fir, on the south by tall firs, and on the west by a tall building, so the terrace gets virtually no sun. it is also the bottom terrace so it's very wet and grows an abundance of weeds.

i do not know what to do with this space. my local nursery suggests plants to just take up space, but i want the space to be productive, in some fashion. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tia,

lanni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If you can improve drainage in the area, try native huckleberries. Both the evergreen (Vaccinium ovatum) and deciduous (Vaccinium parvifolium) are woodsy, shade plants. You could also grow ferns for fiddleheads - ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) and cinnamon or royal fern (Osmunda cinnemomea or O. regalis) produce edible shoots.

These will all be happy in moist - but not wet or saturated - soils.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:44PM
mooserider(8)

Here's a post I created earlier this year on the same topic. I have a mostly shady yard and with a bunch of natives (mostly edibles like berries), and this post lists how well they can do in shade. You'll want to scroll down to the bottom for the updated list. Lots of good advice from others on that thread too.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg042059149808.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade thread

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 7:12PM
lannij(8)

thank you to gardengal48 and mooserider for your very helpful suggestions! i knew someone on here would know what to do. i'm going with berry bushes (huckleberry and salmonberry with some ferns (love ferns). now i'm on the hunt for a nursery in my area (snohomish) that carries native plants.
thank you, again! lanni

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:48AM
oliveoyl3

Attend the free plant swap called Green Elephant in Redmond 1st Sat of November & you might pick up some native berry shrubs. Info gets posted ahead of time on this forum or the Pacific Northwest Garden exchange.

Plus fall plantings don't need regular watering because it rains then.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™