Blanchette's update

mrtulinJune 27, 2013

I went to Blanchette's in Carlisle recently. The plants are 50% off now. There are still many hosta and astilbe (his two largest collections), and many astilbe are in full bloom.
There are also a lot of polygonatums, another favorite of his. I particularly love "Grace Barker" & "Carlisle"
There's a white phlox paniculata "Miss Universe" and nepeta " Johanna Reed" both rated highly by the Chicago Botanic Garden.
I enjoyed a leisurely stroll in the nearly empty nursery. No mob lines like the first day of the sale.
Still worth the drive.
idabean/Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrtulin

There's a nice article about their retirement in the "Carlisle Mosquito". Just google that and the current edition will come up.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:12PM
zahzeen(5)

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the 50% off at Blanchettes. I went today and they had quite a lot left. The owners said they still had around 30,000 pots which included the astilbes, hostas and polygonatums but they had many, many other types of plants, some hard to find. They have a good selection of plants that bloom in July and August and through the fall. Last night I went on their website catalog and picked 27 things I wanted and came home with 21 plants (a couple of substitutions) but no hostas and only 2 astilbes. At their prices now, I found things very hard to pass up. I too will be very sorry to see them retire and unless someone restrains me, I'll probably make at least one more trip to Carlisle!

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:34PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

restrain you? HA! What are you doing Tuesday?....

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:43PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

So, I did kidnap Marlene aka Zahzeen and got to experience Blanchettes. Still pretty full of plants I had my choice of the ones I was looking for for shade. For me its an hour and a half to get there from home..but I may go back once I get the stuff I purchased planted. Nice people still a lot of plants to choose from I will miss there support of the Children's Hospital sale I run

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™