Hibiscus

Emma_DarkJune 4, 2012

I picked up a Cherie Hibiscus at home depot last night. i don't know to much about these plants. are they hardy here in the NW? any tips i should know when taking care of it?

Thanks

Emma

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Can't tell by the cultivar name but liable to be an example of tropical hibiscus, these are frequently offered. What part of the store was it in? They put most of the tender stuff all together in the house plant section, although some locally inappropriate kinds appear in the outdoor area also. There are three basic types of Hibiscus that may be seen at such outlets, if you Google this list you should be able to tell where yours falls.

Hibiscus moscheutos - a more or less hardy perennial with large thin leaves and often jumbo flowers during late summer
H. rosa-sinensis - a tropical evergreen shrub grown indoors here; many different kinds in a range of colors
H. syriacus - a hardy deciduous shrub that opens its small leaves late in the spring and flowers in summer

Otherwise there are a few tender annual types that might be stocked sometimes, I suppose

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 6:02PM
gardengal48

'Cherie' is the cultivar name of a tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis). Not winter hardy here, although can be grown outdoors during the summer months. If grown as a houseplant, watch for spider mites and white flies, both of which seem to love tropical hibiscus. Best treated with a bloom boosting fertilizer during the flower season (now through October) - weekly weakly (half strength) with any liquid fertilizer is recommended.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 4:10PM
wynswrld98(z7 WA)

I grew a Cherie Hibiscus in a large pot last summer, did great! I used to live in Southern California and really miss hibiscus so I took a shot at it. I figured the cool nights (even in summer) here in Puyallup would make it unhappy but it bloomed for me all summer (I deadheaded and fertilized it) into fall but like others are saying treat it as an annual for all intensive purposes. I haven't seen one yet this year but if I do I'll give it another go.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Need help with identifying the greens in my garden.
Hi I moved to a house in Washington state and i found...
wonryu132
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
Sponsored Products
Monaco Accent Chair - Hibiscus Hazel - AC-MN-FELE1-43E
$136.99 | Hayneedle
Flower Photo 13 x 20 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
Vig Furniture - Divani Casa Freesia Modern Dark Grey Fabric...
Great Furniture Deal
Cocktail Hibiscus Blossoms - Set of 2 Jars
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Alexis Bueno 'Hibiscus' 2-piece Oversized Abstract Canvas Wall Art Set
Overstock.com
Hibiscus Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$601.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™