Ceanothus transplant?

mo13June 15, 2009

I have a ceanothus (victoria, I think - of course, I dont have the tag anymore!) that I just realized will get too big for the spot its in. I bought it last year from Flower world in a 1 gallon pot. Can I move it to a different spot this year? If yes, what time of year should I move it?

I have read established ones dont like to be moved - is a 1 year old considered established?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Try it during the winter, or some other time when the top is completely firm. If you dig it when there is tender new growth that will probably wilt and shrivel.

Plant sold under this name is probably actually one called 'Skylark'.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:13PM
mo13

Thanks bboy.

Is it really 'Skylark'? If it is, thats wonderful news for me, according to what I read online, skylark is more compact than Victoria.

How can I tell the difference between skylark and victoria, if at all?

Mo

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:55PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

They look the same and the Timber Press book CEANOTHUS says it is suspected that 'Victoria' and 'Skylark' are the same introduction. Without more information nobody may ever be able to establish with certainty that they are not two separate introductions that look alike. However, based on how it is put in CEANOTHUS and what I have seen sold under both names I'm inclined to use the name 'Skylark', the assumption being that 'Victoria' is a re-naming of a plant first grown as 'Skylark'.

Some cultivars have acquired multiple synonyms over the years, as though myriad attempts have been made by commercial interests to appropriate them for their own use.

In other cases it will not have been known that a plant already had a cultivar name.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™