Part Sun BIG climber for dining trellis

beckbunchJune 16, 2012

I have so wanted to get a rose to grow on this large, gorgeous trellis that my husband built a few years ago. It's in a part-sun area, and attaches to a hot tub structure, where a vine would look gorgeous climbing from the trellis onto the roof.

I first planted a Cecile Brunner rose and it got some truly disgusting rose disease and was removed and replaced with a Madame Alfred Carriere rose. I've had great success with roses in other areas of our property, but I think there's just not enough sun there for a rose to grow healthily and the Madame will soon be getting the axe as well.

So, if I went with a honeysuckle, would it just be too messy to have above a table? What about clematis? I want something that has a real wow factor and will get large enough to cover and shade the trellis, but I don't want something that will constantly drop things into our food.

Any ideas?

Eileen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Clematis take several years to get established but some do grow big enough for what you want to do. Many won't.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 9:04PM
beckbunch

What about silver lace vine? Anyone ever planted it?

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 1:46AM
gardengal48

Sliver lace vine, Polygonum aubertii, is an unofficial noxious weed in western Washington. According to the Garden Wise association between the WNSLA and the WA State Noxious Weed Control Board, this planting option is suggested to be replaced with Clematis or our native honeysuckle, Lonicera ciliosa

Another option I'd consider would be chocolate vine, Akebia quinata, which is very tolerant of part shade, produces fragrant spring flowers and is mostly evergreen. Can be problematic in other parts of the country but no invasive issues here.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 1:51PM
larry_gene

A neighbor had silver lace vine all over one side of his garage, took it out. Looked pretty messy to me.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:00AM
Tinkerbel(7b/8a B.C)

In my experience Honeysuckle does not do too well in part shade simply because of powdery mildew.

I would personally go with a Clematis or Wisteria

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:30AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

What about Holboellia coriacea? I don't know if it commonly produces fruit or not, which could be messy, because my plant is small and hasn't even flowered yet. I also like the Akebia suggestion - it's one of my favourite vines.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:27AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Would some variety of Grape fit the bill?
You wouldn't get the bumper crop you would get in full sun, but grapes can handle quite a bit of shade and still produce some grapes.
Mike

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:41AM
beckbunch

I love akebia as well, but already have it (the white and the purple) in a couple of areas and was looking to branch out a bit. Same with wisteria. I have a long wisteria walkway that runs the length of our house.

A grape might work. I hadn't really thought of that.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:18PM
oliveoyl3

Dutchmans pipe vine (Aristolochia durior)

fast growing vine with large heart shaped leaves
flowers small late spring or early summer
some say flowers stink
20 feet tall & wide

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:32AM
janezee(Sunset 5, 8b, Whidbey WA)

Have you considered a climbing hydrangea? My neighbor has one that is breathtaking. Probably doesn't get more than 4 hours of sunlight per day.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 1:48AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Mildew is the result of genetic susceptibiliy combined with dry or drying soil and damp foliage. That's why it becomes noticeable as summer advances. Low growing season rainfall and summer fogs/dews of the Pacific Coast are probably just about ideal.

Some kinds of honeysuckle mildew readily and others do not. Lonicrea periclymenum 'Serotina' is quite a good one overall, and it does not get covered in mildew.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
looking for scion wood in Portland area
I'm looking for peach and possibly apple scion wood....
jimmy21
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™