Planting out

fumanchuApril 14, 2013

My last frost date is 31st May - can't give you zone because I'm not in America or Canada. My question is - can I plant out fully hardy stuff before this date? Or will the ground be too cold for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

Frost dates are just a guideline to let you know the probability of frost. It's not hard and true. I have known there to be frosts after our frost date.

Yes you can plant frost hardy things earlier. It will take at least a week before stuff comes up if you are planting from seed. You must be a zone 4 or 3 if that's your last frost day.

The test for planting anything is not the date but the temperature of the soil. If the soil feels warm then plant the frost hardy things. We live in Zone 3 and our last frost day is the end of May. That may not hold true this year because we have had cold weather until yesterday. If the weather is normal we plant things like peas and onions and lettuce after the second week of May..

Feel the ground. If it's not warm then hold off planting. Seeds will just sit there in cold ground and may rot if it gets very wet

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fumanchu

Ok, many thanks.We've had the coldest March in over 50 years so I think I'll wait a bit. I just have no patience! :)

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™