Bulbs in spring?

annaneaves(Canada (NS))April 26, 2005

I'm fairly new to gardening (I started on my home garden last summer) I relaized this year that I have nothing in my garden that comes up early! Everyone else around me has crocuses, tulips and daffs that are starting to come up (some are evem blooming) I want to put a bunch of these bulbs in my garden this year. I don't care wether or not they do anything this year,(it would be nice to see them do something this year, but next spring is what I'm working towards) but can I plant them now? (Or whenever I get them) or is it best to wait untill fall? Everything I've read says they should be planted in fall, but it doesn't say wether it would kill them to be planted in spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

Yes, crocuses, daffodils, tulips, and all the other spring-blooming bulbs are normally available for purchase in fall, and planted in fall.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 8:59PM
townhouserOnt(z6aOnt)

I had seen people that planted outside tulips grown in pots, but didn't tried myself.
The earliest my plants, other than bulbs, are Oriental Poppies and rock garden plants - only folliage, but it is very nice!

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 10:09AM
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

It typically takes a couple of years for potted bulbs, that were forced into bloom indoors, to bloom again when planted outdoors. This is because of inadequate light conditions indoors, during the period after blooming when the bulb would be growing its foliage fully and photosynthesizing vigorously to replenish the energy stores in the bulb. Forced bulbs, if they were not too weakened by their time indoors, will send up only foliage for a year or two, until the bulb has finally stored enough energy again to bloom.
Alpines also provide very early blooms, at the same time as the bulbs, if you choose species to do so.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 10:34AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Buy bulbs in the fall for spring bloom. Spend a little more and purchase from a good nursery.
Many of the small bulbs blooming in my garden right now are relatively inexpensive to purchase and last for years and years.
Look for bulbs that are good for naturalizing. This means they will spread and your spring show will get better and better every year.
Bulbs are very addictive though. Be forewarned.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
ashtongardener
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Frida Pendant
Lightology
Satco 60W G40 Globe Incandescent Bulb - E26 Base
LBC Lighting
Huppe | Hudson Bed, Queen
YLiving.com
Lithonia Lighting Flood Lights. Wall-Mount Outdoor White Fluorescent Area Light
$44.97 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Lighting | Bari 12 Light Chandelier
YLighting