Anyone know what pulls petals off clematis?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJune 29, 2011

Two of my clematis are blooming nicely and have looked good for about a week then suddenly yesterday, I noticed something is pulling off the petals. I do have a lot of birds in the garden, could that be what is doing it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dfaustclancy

I betcha it is pesky squirrels. The edges of the petals have a sweetness to them. Kinda like the old-fashioned petunia flowers? We used to pull petunias off and suck the ends when we were kids a hundred million years ago....

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:41AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I hadn't thought of that Debra, we do have a few squirrels around. I was thinking about it being a bird, and using the petals for a nest, but they would dry out and not really add anything to a nest. Your idea makes more sense. Thanks... :-)

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 1:11PM
littleonefb

squirrels, rabbits will get the lower ones, chipmunks will attempt to eat them as they have that sweet taste that is liked by the critters, and the petals pull off ver easily.

Fran

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 2:08PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Well, I seem to have all three in the yard this year, so it could be any of them I suppose. I did see a bird sitting on a Hosta pulling petals off the large white hosta flowers. I haven't seen a bird do that before. I also couldn't tell from a distance what kind of bird it was, it was just a dark gray bird. I don't know what he was doing with them. He hopped down under the Hosta with them and I couldn't see him any more.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™