Orange and blue plants for afternoon sun garden?

jlc102482(6)April 15, 2010

Hi, everyone! I'm new to gardening and new to the forum, so I thought I'd start here. I'm in zone 6 and would like to establish a garden in the front yard of my home. Ideally, I'd really love to do an orange and blue color scheme. However, the area I plan to put the garden in gets only afternoon sun, from about 2:00 PM until the sun sets. Right now, the only stuff growing there are 5x7 foot evergreen hedges (yew, I believe) and some grubby, yellow grass. The hedges are coming out ASAP, so there won't be any competition or shade from them.

I'm not sure which plants to look for that will do well in afternoon sun-only conditions, especially orange and blue ones. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I grow both Clustered Bellflower and Jacobs Ladder in afternoon sun, both do very well for me. The JL is a nice 'true blue' and I also like the foliage. Since it only flowers early to mid June here, the nice foliage helps. The Clustered Bellflower is a deeper blue here in my clay soil. In my other garden, in good loam, (before we moved) it was sky blue. I really don't have too many orange flowers except for wallflower. It is beside the JL and it seems to like it there. I also have some poppies that are orangs/scarlet in colour and they do well in afternoon sun.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:25AM
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

If you want quick colour with annuals, California poppies and California Bluebells
would work there.
Caroline

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 12:21PM
maj742(5)

I have some orange Trollius growing on my west side that only get afternoon sun. They are very pretty and have an interesting flower. They bloom quite a long time.
I searched Google Image for orange Trollius (there are also yellow ones)and came up with nice pictures. I am not sure how to show them to you. Here is the result of a right click copy image location.
http://www.constantcolor.net/images/trollius-chinensisgolden-queen_80sz.jpg

http://takuacres.com/100_0769.JPG

None of those pictures are mine, just some from a Google search.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 1:42PM
fieldblossom

How about orange daylilies, deciduous azalea "Gibralter",
coneflowers, peach or orange hollyhocks. For blues, balloon flower, "Johnson Blue" geranium, clematis "Jacquemontii". Add in some bluish purples like Brazilian verbena, and dark foliage like cimicifuga (bugbane), and orange foliage like Spirea "Magic Carpet".
There are some nice bluish grasses as well. Have fun, ask at nurseries.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 10:55PM
jennyvan

Black and Blue Salvia adds a lot of interest to the garden ... disease and pest resistant and a very easy keeper. It is an annual in my area, but I think it might be a perennial in a zone 6. For orange flowers, maybe a honeysuckle vine on a fun arbor, windmill or similar structure.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 9:13AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Siberian iris "super ego" is a nice shade of blue and the foliage looks good after blooming. Mine does well with morning sun - haven't tried it in PM sun.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:34AM
denninmi(8a)

Agapanthus campanulata and its hybrids are definitely worth a try in Zone 6. Mine do spectacularly well and have the most beautiful blue flowers in July. They are a lot smaller than the type that is hardy only in California type climates, but otherwise look the same. The only special winter care I give them is to cut down the foliage in the fall, throw a thick piece of styrofoam board about 18" square over the top of each clump, and then mulch with about 8 to 12 inches of leaves. Remove in late April and they pop right up.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™