Help! Northern PA flower question

Flutterbyblue2(z5/NorthPA)April 4, 2005

Hi all, (I just posted this in the PA forum but I thought hey there are more experts around lets see if they can help!!)

I was wondering if anyone is from the Milford / Dingmans Ferry area to help with a garden question...I am a new member to this board in search of some experienced North PA gardening.

I get alot of mixed answers that scare me a bit about gardening here.I have moved from Vernon NJ (z6) which is only 25 min away from where I presently live now and had wonderful gardens with minor losses almost every year which I expected... some Tea roses ....and some perrenials

but most of which I planted like the Flora's and Grand Flora's

wintered well.

Has anyone had success with Roses close to my area? We just built our dream cottage and within a month will have a 8ft deer fence installed around the property (which is a must) the deer are rampant, ...nothing scares or bothers them, but we will deal with that. I am looking to fill my gardens with cottage flowers and we are planning a rose bed. I have purchased bare roots from Chamblees and J&P many are David Austins and a few Floras. Can you tell me if I just threw my $$$$ away or will they survive if properly cared for??? Please any help would be appreciated. On another note my heart and prayers go out to anyone has suffered from the recent rains God Bless!!!!

Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabehart(5a OH)

I'm in 5 but Northern PA gets some major snow compared to us.
I'd say some insulation will be needed on the rose canes to help them survive. Otherwise you might end up with the plant dieing to the ground every year. That happens to about half my roses. They live but are small because they dies back.
Have you tried the Roses forum. Those guys are super smart.

Happy gardening
Abby

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 8:59AM
Flutterbyblue2(z5/NorthPA)

Thanks Abbey, yes they are incredibly smart I guess thats why they told me to forget about roses but Its to late I have already done the dirty deed of buying tons. I guess we shall see what happens.
Thanks Donna

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 10:22AM
gabehart(5a OH)

Prove 'em wrong
This winter make cages for them if you can. Get tomato cages at the end of the season (cheap yay) and stuff them full of leaves around the plant. Don't do this until the plant is really dormant, maybe late November. You may not be able to save them all but the ones you really like.

You can try calling the Master Gardener Assoc in your area. They will know what breeds will do best and ways to help other breeds. Master Gardeners usually have a certain day they take Q's. Call your county Extension office, they'll know.

Man, I can't walk away from a challenge....

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™